Complete France Forum

Pet plum headed parakeet travelling to and from UK/France

Stevieg

I don't know but, try checking http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/quarantine/regulation/eu_reg_qa.htm which makes reference to birds.

Also, I have e-mailed DEFRA a couple of times with questions (mailto:pets.helpline@bcms.rpa.gsi.gov.uk) and they have got back to me within a couple of days with proper answers (and answers that don't evade the issue nor answers that ask more questions - they seem helpful).

However, they are less likely to make statements about exporting/departing UK (arriving in France) and will probably be more help about what is necessary to get back into the UK.

Hope above helps

• 3 weeks later...
We brought two budgies to France in August. They had to have an export certificate from DEFRA and a Health Check the day before travel from my UK vet. Mine have been classed as "permanently exported" so cannot ever return to the UK. I'm not sure how you would stand on re-entry and there can be some horrendous regulations with some of the more endangered species of parrots (and quite rightly so....) so you'll definitely need to give DEFRA a ring. I got better and friendlier service from my local Animal Health Office (number in your phone book) than the main London office!

Reagrds and good luck - Helen

Archived