Complete France Forum

Registering Dogs

I1

I had always been told (and read) that after your dog had been in France for 3 months he/she should be registered with the SCC.

After virtually 1 year I decided to do this at the same time as his treatments to return to UK (Tick + Tapeworm). However, vet said that as he was chipped and not tatoo'd, he does not need to be registered in France.

Do people think I should persist or is the vet correct ?

All our animals were microchipped in the UK long before we came to France. I asked the micro chip registry in the UK what we needed to do when we came to France and they explained that the microchips are registerd in the country in which they are inserted and that if you move to another country then you need to register there.

When I saw our French vet he informed me that for registration, which he says for dogs is compulsory, microchips were now acceptable, that was 2 years ago. I had to fill in some forms for each animal, 1 dog and 3 cats, and he dealt with the rest. A few weeks later we recieved our French registration documents for our dog and new chip registration documents for all of the animals here in France. It was not that expensive.

Archived