Complete France Forum

Pets

wollam

Our beloved lurcher Nellie died shortly before we recently moved to France  and now we are looking for another dog to complete our household of two.  We are living in department 61 but to find a dog thats we suit and suits us we are happy to travel a distance as long as so does the dog.  Needs to be young, but not a very young puppy.  

I would suggest starting at your local refuge centres (e.g. SPA is nationwide, but there are probably loads of more locally based ones). To find then try Yellow Pages or check at your local vet.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy a dog from a pet shop. In France some pet shops still sell dogs and these have a bad reputation. I am told that these dogs are often bred in puppy farms, are often in poor health, often separated from their mothers far to early, often have false papers (e.g. age, vaccinations, etc.) Not only might you he helping such dis-reputable trade but the dog you would “end-up with” may have a number of problems (health, behavioural, etc.).

If you can’t find what you are looking for via the refuges, try your local vets. Other than that, I can only suggest breeders (who would probably only have puppies). You don’t say why you prefer not to have a puppy as bringing a dog up from a pup age has some advantages.

I agree with all I1 said.  However, if you want a specific breed, pedigree or LOF, you would probably find that reputable breeders have slightly older dogs available.  I know of several labrador breeders who do not let pups go before three months and some that keep pups with them until suitable homes are found.  Usually these dogs do cost slightly more but you are guaranteed to have a dog with excellent parentage and they will already be vaccinated, chipped and registered, some with guaranteees against hereditary diseases too.

Given that your previous dog was a lurcher, would you consider giving a home to a rescued galgo or greyhound? I have 2 of the latter ( both obtained from UK rescue centres ) and they make the most fantastic, loving pets.

Check out www.levriers.org for more info of long-dogs awaiting their forever homes in France.

Helen.

Archived