Complete France Forum

Pet insurance

Aly

Yes.

However, when I looked at them they appeared a bit different to the UK policy I previously had. In the UK Pet Insurance often covers both 3rd party insurance as well as vet bills. When I looked in France I was told that my house policy covered 3rd party insurance for my dog (assuming I was behaving responsibly/sensibly). I could take out vet bill insurance separately. The policy I looked at (AGF) was cheaper than in the UK but had a lower max. pay-out limit in a year. There were none of the “ongoing illness” aspects some UK policies have (e.g. arthritic treatment), etc. As I was mainly concerned with 3rd party cover I did not search too extensively.

Check with your house insurer about 3rd party cover should there be a claim caused by your pet (accident, damage, etc.) The same insurer will probably be able to offer you vet bill insurance, though do not automatically assume it is the same thing as in the UK (it may be as my experience was of a single policy and others may be different). I’m sure you can shop around and find other policies from other insurers as well.

Summary it is available but may be different to what is normal in the UK.

Archived