Complete France Forum

when operations go wrong?

Sassy

and our saga for a second dog as friend and companion continues! having had the lost dog in tessy rehomed, we then accepted a month ago a french hunting dog which had been alone since before Christmas. We waited a week to up his condition before he was vaccinated and microchipped. The following week he went in for a simple? castration. that was the monday. he slept in the warmth of the lounge overnight, which was transformed into a scene from an abbatoir by the morning where he had haemmorrhaged. His behaviour became more alarming through the day although the bleeding had stopped, with frothing at the mouth and vacant episodes. I phoned the vet, who felt it was probably a reaction to pain, and to administer paracetamol. unconvinced we returned to the vet where the dog stayed. the following day he was in a coma. the following day he made a slight recovery sitting up and the next he was standing and the vets felt he could go home! he has now made a physical recovery, but has no memory. he has no wish to be within any form of human contact, and it looks like the blood clot that was released into his brain has caused irreversable damage.  we are now being charged for all the ongoing veterinary treatment since the operation, is this correct or do vets carry an insurance like other tradesmen.  I would appreciate feedback as we have now lost yet another wonderful family companion.

Sassy

I must say I am full of admiration at how you can remain so calm in such dreadful circumstances.  It is an appalling situation, and it does not sound to me as though your vet has been much help at all. I would be very cross with him or her about the treatment and utterly caustic with him/ her re the bill.

I am sorry I do not know anything about French vets and their insurance or lack of it. I only know you appear to have done what you could in the circumstances and seem to have been let down badly.

I only hope things improve.

Sue

many thanks for the reply, and calm, after three years in france, one develops a toughness necessary for survival regarding animals! Unfortunately the situation has become more grave, as the night before last, Duke, who has regressed further in his behaviour and become fearsome of all people ran away. No one has seen any sign of him since. So if anybody between Pont Farcy, villedieu, tessy sur vire, or gouvet in department 50 see a black tan and white chein de chasse with a red collar wandering, I would appreciate news. I do not think he will let you catch him unless he has become weak with hunger, and also if people could check garages or barns where he may have curled up to hide. This is an unspeakable tragedy for a sweet little dog, and I hate to think of him suffering further. All agencies have been notified and he does have a microchip, so I hope we have news soon. Many thanks again .

Archived