Complete France Forum

Pet Plan Insurance

Diana

When I moved over I investigated this a little (for dogs). I was told by my house insurance company that 3rd party was covered by my house policy (check with you policy as they may differ or I may have been mis-informed). They also have a vet bill type insurance scheme. I was somewhat cheaper than Pet Plan, though also had lower limits on max. payouts in a year (a few thousand euros from memory). Also, none on the “ongoing condition” type of thing that is now offered by “higher end” UK policies. In my case 3rd party was my main concern so I left it.

My local vet does not have any such brochures in his surgery (but that is just one vet, and may easily not be representative).

Check with any insurance company as they may have offerings.

Hi there

I know both "I1" and I have had recent experiences with vets bills in France.  I think you will find that vets bills are a fraction of what they would be in the UK so you may not need to worry quite so much.

For example (I know this is for a dog not a cat) - ultrasound examination, two jabs (to stop upset tummy and sickness). 3 further lots of oral medication to last approximately a week was E49,70 (approx £35.00).  If I'd had this treatment in the UK I have been told it would have cost in the region of £100.00!

This was a one off emergencey treatment (I hope) so I don't know how much it would be for any ongoing treatments for longer term illnesses.  On the whole though, medicines and vaccinations do seem to cost a lot less in France than in the UK.

Archived