Complete France Forum

Cattery hygene

Diana

I first asked this one the North West Forum but it is more suited here.

I visited the local cattery which had been recommended to me to have a look arround. The owner really does care about the animals she looks after but I was concerned about the level of hygene. The cats had large pens (for up to 5 cats from the same family) with a small shed for their bed etc. I was shown one run that had 2 cats who had been there for 10 days and it stank inside the shed/house area. It was centrally heated which was good for the cats welfare but only added to the smell. The walls and floor were part tiled but looked covered in fur and at the best muddy paw prints and at the worse you can guess what. Also the base of the run was grass and earth and it was covered in you can guess what. Our cat has all his vaccinations but I am worried about him catching something. I was not asked if he was vaccinated so am assuming some of the other cats will not be.

I understand from this forum that some french catteries can be very bad when compared to those in the UK. Am I being over fussy or should I accept this as the norn. The one we go to in the uk is run by a vet and very clinical, the cats do not have as much room but it is spotless. They give all the cats a flea treatment as soon as they arrive, he comes back in as good condition as when he went.

Thanks

Diana

Hi Diana, I am certainly no expert but I have found a similar situation here in the UK as well. When I was looking for a kennel for my two dogs it is unbelievable the difference in one kennel to the next. I personally believe that most people do not bother to inspect. One I looked at just before closing was shocking. Dogs were locked up for the night laying in their own muck, many I was told were long term boarders and it appeared to me they never saw the light of day. The owner was on the telephone when I popped by and the young girl reluctantly took me into one of the areas.

I saw several kennels that I would have been very unhappy leaving my dogs with. Fortunately, I found a very good one and can feel relaxed when I have to leave them.

For what it is worth, I would look around and find one you are happy with. I know it may be difficult in France because of distances etc.. but in the end it would be worth it. Hopefully, there are some good catteries with caring people in your part of France.  It may be worth asking the question in the Regional section for your area here on LF for some referrals. Best of luck.

Archived