Complete France Forum

dangerous dogs in france

cary

I recently went to pick up our children from school with our english bull terrier in tow sitting in the car.  The teacher called me over and said that these dogs are classed as dangerous dogs in France and whenever out with him i have to have him muzzled.  He didn't at anytime get out of the car but we cannot have him down at school anywhere near the children.

Can anyone please tell me if these breed of dogs are classed as dangerous here.  He has been brought up with our children and is as soppy as any labrador or poodle would be.

Thanks for any comments   

I have a feeling the teacher is correct here but I would check with the local gendarmerie to be perfectly sure about this breed as some breeds like very much alike but have different temperments. If so, you may have to register the animal,possibly take out insurance on it and then every single time you take it from your property it has to be muzzled. They take dangerous dogs very seriously here in France and it dosn't take much for someone to report it either.

It may be better to ask a vet - I'd be a bit worried about taking such a dog to the gendarmerie and being found to be in possession of something categorised as dangerous...

As is usually the case, French law is not particularly clear. 'American Staffordshire Terrier' (aussi appelé pit-bull), is clearly defined as being dangerous, as are Tosas, Mastiffs (Boer-Bulls) and Rottweilers. They don't have to be pure bred, merely being of that type can be sufficient.

The reference I looked up says that the law as originally worded also included 'Staffordshire Terriers' in the two dangerous categories. As there is no such breed, an amendment was published to remove this name from the list. So this appears to indicate that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not dangerous, though those who only know the original law might say they are categorised.

The law says, basically, that 'dangerous' breeds can only be kept by adults, without criminal records, should be neutered, declared to the mairie, cannot be bought, sold or imported except under strict control, and, depending on category, are either forbidden from, or have to be muzzled in, public places, public highways and on public transport. As Val says, insurance is compulsory.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Its a shame as my husband has had english bull terriers for about 20 years and the only nasty one he ever came across was one that he gave a home to as it had been ill-treated at its previous home.  Looked at our dangerous dog act and its not mentioned there, apart from a few previously mentioned on an earlier post.  He's our family pet and i'de rather not take him out than have him muzzled.  He is already neutered and has had several visits to our vet in Loudeac and she mentioned nothting at all about muzzling him as he was dangerous, but i will check this out as my kids would never forgive me if he was put down.Another political opinion in france to tackle!

Point taken, but half these little cute looking fluffy things running loose round alot of the french owned houses are likely to take your ankles off, and they don't look vicious!  As i said before they chase my car down the road barking and going quite mad.  Brumble was in the car and we didn't get him out, as my vet pointed out french people are apparently quite intimidated by dogs they don't really know and just presume they are nasty.  Although its quite ok to stand outside school with a labrador or boxer and lets face it, dogs are dogs whatever the breed and any dog could turn if it wanted to. Anyway i won't be taking him in the car to school again through fear of upsetting the teacher!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CFrost

Recently, in an Intermarche car park I took our Great Dane out of the car to 'spend a penny' and a woman walked clear across the car park to soundly berate me for not having him muzzled.  She was so aggressive that I felt that the muzzle should be somewhere else other than on my dog.  To the best of my knowledge (and I have enquired of friends incl. a French Dane owner) a Dane is not regarded as dangerous.  Unfortunately, the woman was so furious despite being told by gathering onlookers that Danes were not 'on the list' that I had to put the dog in the car where he went into his best and loudest 'protect my mother' mode almost proving her point.

Out vet also has been seeing him for the past 3 years and has never said anything about muzzles. Unlike many of the fluffy jobs he is never,ever, out without a lead but he has been attacked  several times by unleashed and very stupid caniche. They are still alive which says something for his manners.

Anne

I don’t know the breed so cannot comment on how likely it is to be classed as dangerous of otherwise. In France, my understanding is that there are two classes for dangerous dogs: “Category 1 Attack dogs” and “Category 2 Guard dogs”

Category 1 “Attack Dogs” include Pitbull, American Staffordshire Terrier, Boerbull, Tosa Inu

““Guard Dogs” include American Staffordshire Terrier, Boerbull, Tosa Inu, Rottweiler, Mastiff must be registered with a pedigree which is recognised by the French Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries.

(There is some discussion about the inclusion of the “Staffordshire Bull Terrier).

Category 2 “Guard Dogs” may not be owned by a minor nor convicted person. The animal must be registered with the local Mairie. Anti-rabies vaccination is compulsory. You are required to hold 3rd party public liability insurance. The animal must be kept on a lead and muzzled in public places (though as to this including inside a car would be debatable)

In the case of a Category 1 “Attack dogs” everything as for a Category 2 “Guard Dog” AND selling, buying (or obtaining through any means) and importing of these dogs is banned. They must be neutered and they cannot enter public transport nor public places at-all.

Above is my understanding and not to be taken as a definitive list and should be checked if it affects you – i.e. its more for background info.

If you are unsure you might contact the French “Club des Amateurs de Bull Terrier, d'American Staffordshire Terrier et de Staffordshire Bull Terrier”

Secretary : Mme DUPOUY 89120 FONTENOUILLES Téléphone : 03 86 63 70 22

Information Officer : Madame Geneviève BRUNET-THOMINE 6 rue des aviateurs alliés, 60740 SAINT MAXIMIN, Téléphone : 03 44 28 06 60

(Web site : http://clubfabas.free.fr). Whilst the club name does not include the English Bull Terrier, they are the association listed by the SCC specifically for the English Bull Terrier.

Archived