Complete France Forum

Dog novice requiring HELP!!!

Kags

New to the forum and after a particulary bad 2 days with my 'pointerish' year old bitch I have read a few of the problems on this Pet forum with some relief.

I got Biscotte from a refuge a month ago where she had been for just over 2 months - her history is unknown as she was found abandoned in the Nerac area.

She is 70% adorable.  However she seems to cock a deaf ear when we are walking and doesn't come back to me sometimes when called.  This is nearly always when she is on a scent and today she disappeared for 4 hours. I think she gets excited and loses her way.  I do park in the forest at the same place and she eventually came back looking very crestfallen.  The forest is the safe option at the moment as she also loves to chase livestock and my neighbours chickens and goats which are allowed to roam as they wish.

We have fenced our land (at great expense) but yesterday she dug her way underneath somewhere.  We should have called her houdini as she is an amazing escape artist!! The 2nd day after we brought her home she jumped out of the first floor window.

I am also trying to get her out of the habit of messing (solid) during the night - I thought if I were to feed her later she would hold on til her morning walk but I think I will go back to feeding her twice a day and stop mixing her food (dry pedigree chum) with leftovers/olive oil.

I am trying to keep calm - she is very affectionate  and apart from running off; poo-ing in the night etc she is great.

Any advice out there??  Oh, she also came into heat a week after I got her and she's just finished.

Also can anyone recommend a kennel in the Aquitane (Dept 47)?  Or dog training classes for the untrainable!!??

Karen

Poor you, do sympathise, especially as I'm trying to calm a mad barking dog as I type!   First off, I read about a place in Wales called the Dogs' Home and the owner claimed that ALL dogs are trainable irrespective of age and personality so don't despair.  Re poo in the night, could that be due to separation stress?  (Correct me someone I'm far from being an expert.)  We used to have barking in the night when dog was locked in kitchen but he's quiet right through now he sleeps in our bedroom, a shocking admission I realise!  Re digging under fence, it's infuriating, I know, especially when you've gone to the trouble and expense of erecting one but it's not uncommon.  I know of two dogs who've done this.  Aren't dogs natural diggers so it's very difficult to curb?  Good luck, M

Keeping the dog crated at night may help with the poohing thing (they do not like to pooh in their own beds, in theory).  Make the crate a comfy place to be, with washable bedding (vet bed is great), and maybe a toy (like a stuffed kong), make it a bed or den not just a cage.  Somewhere where the dog feels safe.  It works well with pups.  My lab pup did not soil indoors during the night once.  You could try taking her outside before you go to bed (on a lead if she's a houdini ), go to the same place each time so the scent of pee and pooh is already there and she associates it with a toilet, perhaps build in a command for doing "the business", reward and praise lots (mine both will wee and pooh practically on command now) then go to bed and shut the dog in the crate. Then first thing let her out, on lead, take her to the "toilet place" and give lots of praise if she and when does her business outside.  This worked for me but is likely to be harder work with an older dog. 

Sounds like your dog is a bit og a scent hound anyway so the hunting instinct is going to be very hard to get around  A training class should be able to help you with a recall but it will take time and patience (yes, I know the feeling!!!).  Try http://www.cnea.net/ and click on "les clubs" and then your department to find a training club near you.

Good luck!

Archived