Complete France Forum

Registering pets

Mishtoon

Hi there,

Can anyone give me some advice concerning registration of animals in France.  We have been here for six months and the Defra website in the UK said (before we left at least) that it is necessary for us to register our dog here once we've been resident three months.  I asked the local vet who said it is not necessary...??  (perhaps I was not expressing myself adequately!)  Our dog has a UK chip and is obviously vaccinated against rabies.  So, does anyone know if we are legally required to register our dog here as resident in France and, if so, how do you go about doing it?

Many thanks,

mc_lyng@yahoo.co.uk

You are correct in that once your pet has been in France for 3 months it should be registered with the SCC (which is generally done through your vet – don’t know about any other ways).

Like yourself I have asked my vet about this (pretty well every visit) and have been given a range of different reasons why it is not necessary (last reason being that he is micro chipped rather than tattooed).

However, last visit they decided to call a few people and established that “yes you did need to do it”. They ordered the forms and I have not been back yet.

I am told it is important, particularly if you should lose your dog or should he/she be arrested by the police. Whilst people in France can check where a dog’s chip is registered (e.g. with Petlog in the UK) and can then ask e.g. Petlog for contact details some people have posted that this may not be done with associated horrendous risks.

Guest CFrost
I have been trying on and off for three years to register my dog here.  When I ask our vet he says he will send away for the forms.  We wait and wait, go in again and ask and he says, (you guessed it) he will send away for the forms................ and so it goes.  I have asked for the address and said I will send for the forms but he won't have that, he says he will send ...................etc.  I have asked him to re-chip but seems that will confuse the scanner.  So I don't know quite what to do.

If you are really worried about this there's a very simple way around it.  Just ask your French vet to tattoo the dog.  He will then do the tattoo and will complete and send off the necessary papers.  No two sets of chips to worry about either.

Mine have both UK chips and French tattooes.  Both sets of details are on their EU Passports and pedigree registration documents so I'm covered in the UK and France.  My animals are easily recognised as "owned" animals not strays as it's easy for any member the general public to check for a tattoo in the ear but it's not so easy to check for a chip, especially a UK chip, as it'll be in a different location to a French chip and how many have scanners (apart from me but then I'm sad!!!) at home??!!!

Cost was €55 per animal which included all paperwork, general anaesthetic and the tattoo. Not a huge amount for peace of mind.

Can one choose from a range of tattoo designs, or are you stuck with the bar code and numbers the tattooist gives you?  I think my Alsation Lurcher (sp?) would prefer something manly that reflects his disdain for cats and other small furry animals.  Whereas my Jack would be delighted with something vulgar that tells the world what a great and prolific lover he is (indifferent to gender or species).  My cat would settle for "I hate dogs".

Archived