Complete France Forum

Dog food for elderly dog

Mutts

Can anyone recommend a bland dog food, akin to Chappie, for my 12 yr old hound with a digestive problem? Last time I was in France I looked out for a dog food with rice (assuming this would be bland) but could see nothing suitable.

Thanks

Linda

Are you talking about wet or dry food. I can recommend Burns Dry Food as it is high quality without loads of additives, not too hard (mine find Hills a bit hard to crunch) and is meant to be good for dogs with sensitive digestions (and is available in both UK and France). Many French dry foods seem to have very high protein levels.

If you are unsure, the French distributor can send you samples to try. Where I am it is no more expensive than supermarket food (as the delivery costs are not so bad – though I’m not too far away). If you want details of the distributor in France (and the person you buy it from) and want to call them to discuss, PM me and I will let you know.

(I am not commercially involved in dog food supply in any way, though feel it inappropriate for me to publish somebody else’s contact info and thus maybe advertise on their behalf).

Sorry I cannot suggest anything else.

Regards

Ian

Chappie is a tinned dog food available in most UK supermarkets. Is Eukanuba Senior widely available in SW France as we don't know the area very well yet and will need to get dog food as soon as we arrive. If anyone knows of a bland tinned variety I'd still be interested as my hound is a horribly fussy eater.

Linda

Hi

We found our local vet was very helpful when we arrived here after our elderly cats did not like anything we bought for them. He gave us samples of quite a few different types of tins, biscuits etc and made some sensible recommendations - which we have tried and the cats have not looked so good or been so healthy for ages.

Just a thought.

Sue

Eukanuba is a dry food, although I have friends who soak it so it is wet for their dog.

It is widely available usually in big garden centres or agri centres too. I think it is rice and chicken for old dogs and doesn't smell strong.

Archived