Complete France Forum

Getting out!

We signed our compromis in March and are due to sign our Acte at the end of August.

However, husband now has cold feet and wants nothing to do with it any more. Is it best to pull out now - we would presumably lose our deposit and have to pay the notaire, but anything else? Or is it best just to put the place back on the market in September?

If you buy and then try to sell again soon you may incurr hefty CGT charges, someone better qualified in taxation can clarify this point. If I were you inthis position, I would pull out now and forfeit the deposit before any further charges are incurred.

Hi PMS,

Just a thought: have you asked yourself whether YOU still want to buy? If that's a strong "yes" then maybe it would be worth continuing to buy and giving it a trial.

But, as the others have said, there is a lot of effort involved in buying/selling as well as the financial costs.

I suggest you write down all the pros and cons, with your husband's input, and take it from there. That way you'll have come to a decision based on all the known factors, as opposed to a potential knee-jerk reaction, and you'll be able to refer to the list if you ever fell like kicking yourself for not having done the opposite of what you finally decided.

I think you'll find a substantial proportion of us who have bought in France did have cold feet or second thoughts at some time, but subsequently think it's the best thing they ever did!

F24

We had an apartment in which we never lived, but which was let to tenants, English, who subsequently trashed what was once immaculate.... but that's another story. After 7 years of being the legitimate owners, we still had to pay a large amount in CGT. I hope I am right in saying unless one owns a property for 22 years, there is a diminishing amount to be paid. Have another think about your situation, and try to remember how you felt when you first saw the property. Remember also, that prices in France are starting to rise substantially, so perhaps it might be better to keep it and sell at a later stage. Anyway good luck.

Archived