Complete France Forum

Rabies jabs... how much are they in France?

chocccie

I'll be getting my cat a pet passport in England before we move to France, and will want her to have a rabies jab each year - any idea of the cost? 

Same question re dogs - plus the jab they have to have within 48 hours of going back to England for a visit.

Thanks folks.

Prices vary greatly from vet to vet.  Generally a consultation at my vet is 18 Euros then the jab is not much.  For dogs you pay for frontline and worming tablets which are much cheaper here than  in the UK plus consultation.  No more than 30 Euros I would say. Per dog and slightly les for a cat. Obvioulsy if you have more than one pet you dont pay a 2nd consultation. 

www.chateaudesanimaux.com

A year ago I paid €28 for just rabies (incl. Certificate, TVA, everything – total bill). This year I went for the complete set (rabies plus everything else at the same time) and paid €32 for the lot (incl. Certificate, TVA, everything – total bill). From what others have said I would certainly agree with chateaud that prices vary a lot (I have seen people saying they have paid somewhat more than me).

Ian

My dogs usual jabs including rabies cost over 50euros. That isn't including the pet scheme things.

When we use the pet scheme we pay over thirty euros. That includes the worming jab, (we provide the Frontline ourselves), the vet just puts it on and the paperwork. And when he messed the paper work up, we ended up at a vet's in Calais to give us another bit of paper and that cost us a further 20 euros.

Choccie, the jab and frontline have to be done 24 hours before one can cross and then there is a window of a further 24 hours to travel in.

Also, watch out for 'residence' in France for your animal. French animals must have their rabies update every year. I would go and see a vet asap if I were you and get it all sorted out.

There were some threads about it recently.

EDIT, sorry Choccie I have just read your post again. If you cat hasn't had a rabies jab already then sort it all out in France. Your cat will need a rabies jab and then some time after, you'll have to look on the DEFRA site your cat will have to have a blood test. AT some point a chip will have to be put in too.Then several months after that you can travel with your cat. You must remember to get the jab done within the date.

It is a bit of a hassle and takes some time the first time and is not cheap, but once it is done then as long as you keep up to date with the dates, it is relatively simple.

Archived