Complete France Forum

Looking at moving to France...HELP ! please !!!

My wife, daughter (12) and myself are in the early stages of considering a move to France. We have too many questions to ask in one go on this forum, but maybe someone could tell us there experiences in general of making the move to France. Why you decided to move, what year, how long it took and...do you ever want to come back to Blighty ? Any particular areas that are popular with the English ?

As I said, its early days, but we are looking along the lines of buying a property to change into a guest house. I have my own small business at the moment designing and installing electronic security equipment,,,intruder alarms, CCTV, electric gates, security lighting etc. Is there any demand for that over there ?

We look forward to any help or advice, many thanks.

Tony and Tracey.

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Running a B&B has been covered several times recently. At the top of the page there's a search icon, key in B&B and you should find several useful threads. With regard to business opportunities, you may want to post in the working in France section. Finally, there's a very interesting discussion going on at present in the Post Bag (further down) on the subject of returning to Blighty. This will give you some insight into the pluses and minuses of moving to France.

M

Whenever this subject is raised, the one answer which is always paramount is, do your homework before moving. If you cannot yet speak French, commence lessons as soon as possible - trying to fill in a French tax return is horrendous! Be aware that things are not a 'home from home' and that the mentality of the French is very different, despite that only 30 kms separates the two countries. There are many very helpful people here on the forum, so if you have any further specific queries, just itemise them one by one. And finally, it is worth it for most of us.

Archived