Complete France Forum

Glucosamine

Teamedup

Our dog has to take these every day and the last box I bought was 29 euros something for a 100. I'm pretty sure the last ones we bought earlier this year were about half that price. Anyone else with their animals on this and how much are you being charged?

I use combined G&C costing £10-90 for 240 tablets (from http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/VetVits/default.aspx – delivery to France is not a lot extra and only takes a few days).

However, I guess to an extent it depends on the dosage. For these recommended is e.g. Medium dog 2 tablets a day although mine only gets one as it is preventative rather than to cure a problem.

Ian

One of ours takes Seraquin (combined glucosamine and chondroitine, 500mg and 380mg respectively per pill).  Costs 25.60 euros for 30 pills.

BUT, she only takes them one month in three, taking 2 pills per day for 10 days and then 1 pill per day for the other 20 days.  So 40 pills four times per year = 160 pills, comes to....er.....about 135 euros a year?   It does seem to help her chronic arthritis and so we think it's worth it.  Seraquin is palatble and she eats them like treats so that's a bonus. 

(Both dogs also take Metacam every day and THAT is EXPENSIVE.)

Chrissie (81)

Glucosamine or glucosamine sulphate to give it its full name is available from horsey places at around 30 euros for 500g of powder.

If you can find a way of incorporating the powder into the diet or get some empty capsules it is by far the cheapest option. 

Since discussions with my chiropractor and vet (I see one, the dog sees the other) I've been giving the dog various makes and models of Glucosamine sulphate. He is particularly fond of Seven Seas Glucosamine and Cod Liver oil capsules. The vet here in the UK reckons that I'm doing the right thing, as these capsules cost about £8 for 3 months' supply, whereas, to quote the vet, "vet. quality glucosamine would be costing you about £80 a month!". The chiropractor is using the dog as a shining example of the beneficial effects of glucosamine to his sceptical human patients, as he points out that the dog clearly doesn't know that the pills are supposed to help his chronic arthritis!

Jane

[quote]Since discussions with my chiropractor and vet (I see one, the dog sees the other) I've been giving the dog various makes and models of Glucosamine sulphate. He is particularly fond of Seven Seas Gluc...[/quote]

To digress - not too far I hope - I have been taking Glucosamine for about 7 years now and while I shall never be sprightly again it has made a real difference to my knees, much more mobility and much less creaking.

Archived