Complete France Forum

Chickens

Loopy Lou

Good morning, Lou.   Yes, it is possible to bring your chickens from the U.K. - we brought 5 over with us 4 years ago.  They needed an inspection from the Vet and the correct documentation (also from Vet), and were booked to travel on a ferry crossing.  Ours travelled on an overnight crossing in their own little coop - it was dark and cool and my husband said he didn't hear a single cluck.  It was trouble free for us - presumably the system hasn't changed.

Good luck

Mary

Thanks, all,

John, the clue was in the question - existing pets!    I am aware that point of lay chickens are widely available in France.

Mary, what documentation is required - do you remember?  And did you take the coop onto the ferry rather than leave it in the car?  I am intrigued that your husband could verify "not a cluck", but perhaps you are allowed to check on them.

I would be bringing my old dog with me as well, so I expect I'll use the Chunnel so that I can stay with him all the time.  He's a hulking great hairy, smelly, german shephard cross with an acute fear of fireworks and thunder, the great wuss!  But I love him anyway.

Merci a tous,

Loopy

Good morning, Lou.  

We were determined not to leave our much-loved chickens behind when we moved to France (the oldest is now over 8 years old and still laying!).   I did a bit of research through one of the DEFRA offices and telephoned to ask exactly what would be needed.  Basically it was a form for the export of poultry and required completion by the Vet to say that the chickens were free from problems.  My Vet inspected the girls and provided me with the documentation.  Can't remember if I actually got the forms or if the Vet did, but your Vet could probably help - the DEFRA officials were also very helpful.

The chickens travelled in their own coop in the back of our car.  They went overnight - check the ferry company to make sure they carry livestock; you may have to book in through freight - but there were no difficulties at the port.  You can make arrangements to check on your livestock - ask one of the stewards on board.   Gals and husband arrived next morning and were clucking happily in the fields by midday.  I don't know if the Chunnel accepts poultry..... but good luck anyway.

Mary

Archived