Complete France Forum

THAT EXTRA BEDROOM?

A friend of ours who has purchased a house near us in The Charente, wants to move a little nearer to the coast. To make his recent purchase more saleable, a builder has suggested converting part of his very long lounge into an extra en suite bedroom. He assures him that a three bedroom house with two toilets would have more sale appeal than a two bed with only one.
He says that the cost of the conversion would be relatively minimal compared to any value it would put on the house.
I would appreciate any comments from anyone who have been in a similar situation or have any valid comments!

Sounds like the builder wants some work!

Suggest your friend asks an immobilier (French estate agent)for advice before making any hasty decisions.

If agent says this is the case suggest your friend gets two or three devis in.

regards.....helen

I think that downstairs bedrooms are not a big draw and won't really increase the value. Your friend will draw a larger crowd by advertising a two bed property with potential for a third. By turning part of the lounge you are in my opinion reducing potential interest. If it were me I would leave it as it is and just highlight the possibilities to those viewing.

In a nutshell a third bedroom will not increase value IF it is badly placed or designed and adversley affects the layout of the rest of the property.

He assures
>him that a three bedroom
>house with two toilets would
>have more sale appeal than
>a two bed with only
>one.

This has certainly been our experience of letting a house in the UK. Originally 3 b/r, being just the two of us we had used the third room - though still double sized - as a library/study. We too had a very large sitting room + a kitchen/dining room but letting agents were unanimous. In order to attract tenants for what was clearly a family house, we had to advertise 3 bedrooms. So we reluctantly made a few changes to the room in question but it did the trick, we haven't had an empty week in 15 years of renting. M

Thank you for the informative replies and my friend has asked me to point out his house is actually a bungalow, where of course all bedrooms are downstairs!

The lounge, I understand, is all of 4o foot long and might be improved by shortening to make a bedroom down one end.

Personally, we sought a 3 bedded house when looking at properties, but in the end, to our regret, we settled for only a two bedded. Mind you, it does give us a good excuse to turn down unwanted visitors with a load of children!

If there is any more opinions regarding the extra room which might make his house more saleable, we would be pleased to hear! Thank you!

Archived