Complete France Forum

pup

Krill

I believe that there is a minimum age that is largely determined by the requirement that the pup be rabies vaccinated at least one month before entry into France. There used to be a 3 month age limit but I think this is no longer required. However, the “at least one month after the rabies vaccination” places an older limit.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

We moved to France in 2002, we bought along our 2 house rabbits and our puppy. He was only 9 weeks old. He was not allowed to be passported as he was too young to have the rabies jab, we had to contact DEFRA and get and Export certificate.  We had no trouble at all doing this and they animals were not even looked at in UK or France at the ferry ports.

Hope this helps.

Vicky

Do double check as I believe the regulations have changed. A lot has changed since 2002 (e.g. Pet Passports as opposed to PETS scheme) and others have been told by French customs about the “rabies plus one month” rule. Quite a few people have had to wait before bringing in pups due to the new regulations. For example http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=289&MessageID=184911. There are “ways round” the new regs but it requires the pup’s mother travel with the pup and that the pup leave the country again (with its mother).

You would need to check with the French authorities not DEFRA as DEFRA are only concerned with bringing animals into the UK and not about them leaving the UK (or rather entering France).

Ian

Archived