Complete France Forum

Lesson learnt.. Be aware

Jaydeez

We have been taking our dog to and from France for over a year now and have never had a problem, however this weekend was the exception.  On our trip to the vet for the usual return journey, they used a tick treatment called Stronghold by Pfizer, instead of the usual rontlinee.  On booking in at the Speedferries desk we were told that Defra would not accept Stronghold and we would not be able to return to the UK.  I queried this with DEFRA there and then whoo confirmed that it was not a recognisable treatment as far as they were concerned and therefore we could not return.  To make matters worse it was 6pm on a Sunday evening which meant we had to find a vet who could administer the frontline (also the injection as the 48 hr window would be closed on the next sailing )  We then had to find a Hotel that takes dogs, numerous calls to the Uk cancelling work, appointments etc.  All credit to them, Speedferries were excellent and found both a Vet and a Hotel for us.  On meeting with the Vet he informed us that this was the third recent case he had come accross, and all vets should know that Stronghold is not acceptable for passport purposes.  Of course Holiday Insurance covers for all eventualities except this one, and it certainly came out as an expensive return journey.  I hope someone else can learn from our experience. 

Regards

John and Dana

For those of you who encounter similar problems at Boulogne or Calais, you can find a really excellent veterinary practice at Marquise, halfway between the two.   Call 03 21 92 89 12 and if they are not there there is an answering machine with an emergency number. 

Thanks for the warning, we have always been offered Frontline up to now, indeed our vet always asks if we have our own, or do we want him to sell us some.

The other bit which I find interesting is the talk of injection. We have never had this, our worm treatment has always been a tablet. But then our dog will eat anything in a bit of cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived