Complete France Forum

Horse Feeds

bobby patt

• 2 weeks later...

Rolled oats and bruised barley available from my friend who has a stud at Excideuil. 'Sanders' range of cubes available at Agri Co-op, Excideuil, and also at Perigeuex. 'Destrier' (better than Sanders) available from Gamm Vert, St Yrieux la Perche and 'Dynavena' (think that's the manufacturer's name..sacks in tack room and it's too cold to go out and look!), which is the best of the lot, is available from the mill behind Coulaures on the way from Excideuil to Perigeuex. Sugerbeet is available from Agri Co-op at Excideuil and also Gamm Vert at St Yrieux (better quality from Gamm Vert). I make my own mix as I get oats and barley etc from my friend and buy a huge tub of vitamins to add from my vets at Pompadour.Hope this helps.

Laura

Not so much of a query about horse feeds but does anyone have good advice about moving horses from the Uk to france?

We're hoping to move this year to the Limousin area and would like to bring our 3 dogs and 3 of our 4 horses with us. Unfortunately our old pony is close to 25 years old and has never been a good traveller and has a few health problems so it may be better for him not to come with us.

Any advice would be appreciated. All of the animals are microchipped and had their vaccinations.

Hi Bunny,

I used  P & L Luck Horse transport Liskeard Cornwall 2 years ago. Tel. Fax 01579 345151

They travel regulary to France, and pick up across England (Husbard and wife team).

They do all the paperwork etc., my horse arrived like she had just travelled a short distance. 

Good luck !

Le visiteur.

Hi and thanks for that info.

My main worry is that the 3 boys get stressed while travelling as they rarely go in the horsebox to be honest. My arab x enjoys travelling but does kick in the box when it's not moving (he's odd and complex lol), my friesian x has always been a nervous type and the yearling on the other hand seems to take everything in his stride!

Would I be better off sedating them for the journey?

B

• 2 months later...
I moved my two horses out to Charente last November with Wiltshire International Horse Transport.  I could have had a shared load but decided to have the whole lorry and move our furniture at the same time.  The company and the two drivers were fantastic, everything was planned down to the last detail, they handled all the paperwork, we were able to drive our car behind the lorry (WIHT booked our car on the ferry as freight) the whole way and check on the horses when we wanted.  The horses had haylage at all times and water during the ferry crossing and regular rest/water stops on the 8 hour drive through France.  They spent in total over 17 hours in the lorry and arrived without a trace of sweat, the drivers really supported them down the ramp when they arrived as they were a little tired, but within a couple of hours they were prancing around their new paddock and didn't have the slightest ill effect.  I considered sedating them but was advised by just about everyone not to, and so didn't and they were fine.  We had planned to move the horses ourselves but were advised by my farrier and instructor to leave it to the professionals, and they were so right - the professional horse transporters do it every day, their relaxed state gets passed to the horses, and (although to me my horses are the most precious in the world!) they handle horses probably far more difficult and expensive than mine or yours.  I also considered the Lucks, they couldn't do the date I wanted and were slightly more expensive than WIHT but I think along the same lines of personal care.  Good luck with your move.

Archived