Complete France Forum

First real vet bill - ouch!

SaligoBay

SB, hope your dog is feeling better. 

Having read the comments on this thread, I think that our vet is probably very reasonable.  Took our boy there about five weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon with an anal sac fistula. Vet cleaned it out, gave an antibiotic injection and told us to return on Monday. Paid nothing at this point.  Monday, different vet on duty.  Again, cleaned out the thing, gave me two antibiotic cream loaded syringes to inject  into the fistula every two days, plus a course of antibiotics and instructions to return when the antibiotic course was finished.  Also had his rabies etc. jabs done at that visit.  Cost a total of 107 euros, incl. the medications and rabies jabs plus two consultations.  Went back after about 8 days, still not happy with the fistula,  vet cleaned it out and changed the antibiotic and gave me prescription for 16 days course(said it would be cheaper from the pharmacy) and said come back in 16 days.  Said, "no charge".  Not happy with it and returned after 12 days.  Vet cleaned it out and changed to a medication which he said would "burn out" the fistula.  Told me to return again the next day for another treatment of the same.  Did so and then was assured that it would now be fine.  So far, so good.  Again, "no charge".  So, a total of 107 euros for an antibiotic injection, annual rabies etc.jabs, 2 syringes of antibiotic cream, 8 day course of antibiotics,  2 lots of some unspecified betadine appearing type of medication and 5 unhurried consultations.  Seems very reasonable to me. 

We moved house last Sept/October and are now quite a long way away from them but we are very reluctant to change.

Anne

Archived