Complete France Forum

Heartworm in dogs?

Jonzjob

Has anyone any ideas about heartworm in dogs? We live near Carcassonne, Aude (11) and have a beautiful chocolate labrador. We are worried that she could get this fatal disease. We know that it is passed on by mosiquitoes and there are not a lot around here, but if we go across to the Carmargue there are lots there.

Any ideas as to how dangerous this is please? Any information would be welcomed as we have had conflicting views about it...

John.

John, heartworm is a very bad disease.  In the U.S. it has spread to most of the country. I was using Heartgard there with Maggie.  I asked our vet (we're about 45 km from you in the Aude on the Ariege border) and they told me it is NOT a problem in most of France.  Perhaps in a few places right along the Mediterranean, but otherwise, not. 

They suggested a twice a year worming with Milbemax.  However, since I am actually as, if not more, worried about Leishmania (again, not really a problem in our region, but we do visit Toulon occasionally), I use K9 Advantix which protects against mosquito bites.  That would lead me to believe that Maggie is then protected against both problems.

BTW, the Scolibor collar also protects against mosquito bites.

PG

Archived