Complete France Forum

taking my dogs for the first time

Pads

hello Im planning to take my 2 dogs with us to france for the first time they are already chipped and ready to go, what I would like to know is what is the process like getting them though customs, will I have to take them out of the car? will people want to touch them or check them in any way. The reason I ask is that my german shepheard isnt very friendly, if you leave him alone he will leave you alone ( thats his attitude) hes not nasty and has never bitten any one, he is just a big coward and very scared of people. The other one will be fine , but the big boy could be a problem. Also whats the ruling over muzzels in france, we have never used them as again the big boy is scared of them, will we need them? I feel it might be kinder to leave him at home, am I being selfish wanting him to come on holiday with us or is one day of hardship in the car worth a couple of months with the people who love him and pamper to his every whim .?

The procedure probably varies depending on the route you are taking but, as I see you live in Cornwall, I'm guessing that you will be travelling with Brittany Ferries fom Plymouth.

At Plymouth they usually just give you the scanner at the car check-in to scan your dogs yourself so no need to take them out of the car.  On the return journey however it is a different matter. You will be required to take your dogs into the BF desk in the terminal building where they will scan them and check all the paperwork. Don't forget to make sure you have the tick/flea/worm treatment not less than 24hrs and not more than 48hrs before the scheduled departure time of your return ferry. If the timings are difficult for you then speak nicely to the vet and you may well find he/she is happy to be a little flexible about the time or date put in the passport !

You are extremely unlikely to be stopped by customs in either country in either direction.

Archived