Complete France Forum

Advise on Clause suspensive

We received the compromis de vente on Saturday, so are now in the 7 day period. There is one anomoly regarding the actual plots that we are purchasing, on the compromis we are purchasing amongst others 988 but on the plan attached it should be 989 (988 appears to be the farm next door!) so I need to get that changed! However, re the Clause suspensive, our agent advises on a post-it note stuck on the contract, that we should insert the wording 'I do not require a loan' and sign but if we do that I think we're signing away our right to pull out if we don't get a mortgage. The thing is although we are buying the house in France 'outright' ie we're not getting a mortgage against that house, we are extending the mortgage on the house in London. Does the clause suspensive not work if you are getting the mortgage against another ie English property? I have emailed the agent to clarify, but thought I would ask you guys for your usual sound advice!
Hope this wasn't too long winded....
Regards Leigh

I can only comment on our own experience - our French trained but UK based solicitior said that the "mortgage unobtainable" get out ( if that makes sense) did not apply if one was getting a mortgage outside France, either relating to the French property itself, or remortgaging a British property to finance a French one.
I think there may also be previous postings to the effect that some compromis have a clause that allows for the selling agent to find a substitute(French) mortgage if you appear to be unable to go ahead . Hope this helps.
S & C

Archived