Complete France Forum

puppy?

gucci

Though it's not exactly the ideal pedigree, providing both parents are healthy and there's no particular incidence of any defect in the parents or grandparents, you should have a perfectly healthy, happy dog. If there's any evidence of something like epilepsy or hip dysplasia in the blood line, this mating is likely to increase the likelihood of that defect being present. For eg, I know of a brother / sister mating where the b.itch's belly button hernia was replicated in several of the puppies. But of course, that could have happened anyway - difficult to know.

Some breeders will mate quite close relatives if they are trying to bring out a particular characteristic and while I think it is a bad idea, I believe the UK Kennel Club would actually allow a breeder to register a brother / sister mating. Certainly, a mating with a grandparent is positively normal. [blink]

If the puppy is from a recognised breed (as opposed to the mating of Heinz 57s) then take a look at the pedigree and see how often the same names appear which will indicate how broad the gene pool might be. Little or no repetition is best. Also check what breed defects your puppy might suffer from and have the vet check for them.

If it's a happy and energetic puppy though, I wouldn't worry - just enjoy the dog!  One final comment: I don't think you should plan on breeding from him / her.

Many breeders will breed close "relatives" to further enhance certain traits in the dog. However this also can re-enforce weaknesses. It is normal practise amongst breeders. 

If you are a breeder, (prfessional) then you could breed the dog, provided it isnt as put eloquently as "heinz57". If you do not plan on showing the dog, and are not a breeder, or have a Hienz57 then please do have the pup sterilized. The younger age it is done at, the better. Anytime after the pup is 4 months old.

Thankyou both for your help.

I am not planning on breeding from her as we don't want puppies! This is the first time in the blood line there has been interbreeding. The only thing I am worried about is the mothers bottom jaw sticks out and I hope that my little daisie does not have that problem! Both the parents are pedigree German Shorthaired Pointers.

You have been a big help thanks ever so much

Archived