Complete France Forum

Rabies jab valid for 3 years

alnmike

We have always been told that even though there are jabs available that can last two or three years, the pet passport people at border crossings will insist that a jab is given annually. Maybe check the DEFRA website to get this confirmed?

Warren

From a "Pet Passport" perspective then for a rabies vaccination there is a "date given" and "valid until" date. For the Pet Passport to remain valid the next booster must be given by the "Valid until" date. UK vets tend to give 2 years (maybe more now ?), though French vets still give 1 year. DEFRA make no statements about the validity period, just that it's the valid until date in the Pet Passport (which they say should be in accordance with the "vaccine manufacturer's data sheet"..

However, once in France the Pet Passport is not really used. It is only used when crossing national borders. In France the thing that is recognised is the rabies vaccination certificate. First year its blue, then subsequent years pink (or maybe the other way round - cannot remember). If your dog is ever arrested by the police, found running around unattended, etc. you are likely to be asked for its rabies vaccination certificate. If there is a rabies incident and depending on the special measures in place, if you cannot produce one of these (valid) certificates there is a risk your dog may be destroyed. If you do any activities with your dog (e.g. agility, obedience, defence, flyball, training, etc.) when you join the club and each year when re-vaccinated you may have to give the club a copy of the certificate (I have to give them a copy each year). Certainly, to enter some agility competitions you need to present a current rabies vaccination certificate. I was advised by a dog breeder that I should really carry a copy of the certificate around with me when I go somewhere with my dogs (though I don't bother).

Ian

We have 4 dogs, a veteran (nearly 15) Welsh Border Collie and 3 lab x spaniel pups that we have adopted, when we arrived in rance 20 months ago the French authorites never looked or asked for the passports - so Bryn arrived with no ones knowledge, when we adopted the pups we took them to the vet for all their jabs etc - we were told that rabies is no longer compulsory but that they recomended that it was done - all 4 are now in line with jabs etc - the pups do not have passports as they will not be returning tothe UK - nor will Bryn.

[quote user="james419"] ...- the pups do not have passports as they will not be returning tothe UK - nor will Bryn.[/quote]

Sorry, and you may well be correct.  However, the number of dogs I've seen needing to find a new home because they would never be returning to the UK is quite depressing.  When the additional costs of getting the blood test done are so small and its a "one off" cost I find it difficult to understand why people don't do it.  If people are really on such tight budgets should they be keeping dogs.

So many people say "never returning" and then you see the "change of circumstances ... needs to find a new home". - depressing.

Ian

I was under the impression that although a rabies jab done in the UK is valid for 3 (or so) years, on the contnent it has to be done every year to be valid.

As a dog can only exit/enter the UK with a valid jab, that means that they can exit within 3 years of a jab but only re-enter within a year of the last jab.

Am I mis-reading this?

Previous threads on this issue have tended to say that once a dog is on the contnent it has to conform to the continent's rules - although of course this may be just my misunderstanding as I was only looking to see how the rules affected me and my dog I brought from the UK when I moved here!

It appears to be the norm that the same vaccine administered in the UK has a 2 or 3 year 'best before' date, but the same vaccine administered in France has to be renewed every year.

If in doubt, ask your vet - it must be really hard to leave a pet behind or have them 'do quarntine' because you weren't aware!

The Pet Passport regs say that the booster must be done before that "valid until" date (as entered by your vet in accordance with manufacturer guidelines, etc., etc.).

In France, there are two important things related to the rabies booster: the Pet Passport and the French rabies vaccination certificate. Whilst in France (for French resident dogs), the French rabies vaccination certificate is by far the most important document. It is issued by the vet when the booster is given and is valid for 1 year. As far as the Pet Passport is concerned, a French vet will invariable enter a "Valid Until" date one year from the date the booster was given.

If you are a UK resident (and your dog is a UK resident) then in all probability it will be your UK vet who gives the rabies booster and thus fills in the Pet Passport.

Ian

My own vet here was astonished when I told him that rabies jabs are valid for a longer period in the UK - not nearly safe enought - was his response.  Therefore I reckon that, travel requirements between the two contries apart, if you want to protect your pet, get it done every year.  You'll also be unable to leave your dog in French kennels if you don't have a valid certificate.

If living in France I agree you have to have it done every year. I am not convinced that this is necessary for protection against rabies and, in fact, it may be better every two years for protection against rabies. Unsure about 3 years. It's not only French kennels you need the French rabies certificate for - I have to use mine several times each year (and not at kennels).

I do find the UK attitude confusing. UK is totally paranoid about rabies (e.g. all the entry controls, blood tests, 6 month waits, etc.), yet they are far more lax than the French about vaccination (e.g. it does not seem to be "the norm" in the UK, many vets don't even recommend it (when I lived in the UK my vet could not understand why I was having it done), and now 3 years between boosters. Does not fit with the paranoia on entry to UK from rabies free countries ?

Still, I suppose when government regulations start to make sense we will all be suffering from shock.

Ian

i am totally confused.    i have a cat brought over from uk, all jabbed up and passported.   Recently took cat for rabies booster, taking decision to have booster done after (or few days before) the year was up, rather than the two years stated as validity date.     some debate at vets and much head scratching over two year period, but i persuaded them to givre the booster anyway.    so much for that, no problem there.    I acquired puppy in france around 6 months ago.   have been to our vets now three times with puppy for rabies jab.    first time (my fault) puppy was 2 days under allowable age, and vet wouldnt do it.    other two times puppy was found to have miniscule temperature (probably from stress of being in vets!) and ditto, vets would not administer vaccine.     however, on all three occasions, three separate vets from same practice said there was no requirement for rabies vaccine in france, and that unless i wanted to leave country there was no point having it done.    actually i do intend to have it done - as is clear from reading this site many people believe they will not return to uk and do so.     i will try again within next couple of months, picking a day when dog looks exceptionally healthy ! and hope they will administer.    But please can someone tell me what legal situation is ref rabies jab in france, as i am now really worried about it - i wasnt before because well, i believed what the vets said.

Legally not required

BUT

will often be requested by catteries, campsites and dog shows - on paper if not actually checked

is legally required when returning to the UK (as you realise)

is also required when crossing some other international borders.

There is rabies in Germany in the Pfalzwald on the French border.  The French claim there is no rabies in France, but I am dubious as to how they control foxes crossing the border.

many thanks - do fully intend to have it done as i said, but you have put my mind at rest until i can achieve it.    trust me our mutt is not show quality (unless they have a 'strangest looking dog' section), and not intending to go away any time soon.    Will try vets again in another couple of weeks.

thanks for putting my mind at rest.

When you get your dog rabies vaccinated in France your vet will give you a certificate (1st year it will be Blue and subsequent years pink). Keep this as it is important - even if you do not go to dog shows. I don't do dog shows and neither of mine have been in kennels in the last year but I've still needed to present their rabies certificate on a number of occasions.

Vets might be more concerned about the first vaccination to the pup and thus being particularly cautious (which is a good sign in itself). Vets always give my dogs a check before any injection or treatment.

Should your dog be arrested, the police may ask for the certificate (unsure as to what will happen if you have not got one except that, if there is a rabies alert in the area without such a certificate the police will apparently put your dog down).

The Pet Passport is separate to the French rabies certificate. I would personally recommend that you get the Pet Passport, and get the blood test done. Not expensive and gives you complete peace of mind that, should the need ever arise you can visit the UK with your dog.

Ian

thanks will do pet passport as per cat.    wasn't meaning to imply criticism of vets - have been very happy with them otherwise would have changed.   slightly frustrating to keep turning up and not have it done - sure the dog knows and is winding itself up to a temperature to get out of it!   but rather a cautious vet than the opposite.

thanks for replying

It takes some time for a dog's temperature to rise internally and whilst I'm sure stress will have an effect, if its enough to delay a vaccination it might be something else. Nothing serious, but pups do catch infections, etc. It is also possible not concerns over any reaction to the injection but how well a rabies vaccination "takes" (i.e. the resulting anti-body levels) depends on a load of factors, and any slight infections can reduce the vaccines effect. Maybe try booking an appointment 1st thing so you can arrive, go straight in, etc. with minimum delay. One of mine used to always have a high heart rate - because there were other dogs in the waiting room, loads of new exciting stuff, etc. so of course he was excited.

I think French vets are just the same as anywhere. Some are good, others not so good. Mine are excellent and give me fantastic service EXCEPT they tend to feel that to treat something you should try to use pills/injections/drugs. They cannot use the "just rest it, nothing broken" method but always have to help it along with drugs. However, now I know that I can stop them before the unnecessary injection. They don't do it for the money s half the time I don't seem to get charged for the treatments anyway.

Ian

Archived