Complete France Forum

Poorly Cat

Cat71

Our (almost) 13 year old cat was diagnosed last week as having a liver infection and was put on anti-biotics. She was very ill for the first week and I didn't expect her to live! I have been a good nurse and she did pick up a little but she is just not eating. I have prepared all sorts of things for her such as fish, chicken, a bit of beef etc but she refuses to eat. She is hungry but everytime she takes a mouthful she is sick an hour or so later. She is on her last 2 days of antibiotics but I'm wondering if they have upset her stomach. Last night I didn't give her one to give her system a rest. She keeps going to her clean litter tray and licking the litter. Has any one else had a cat with the same problem? I fear it may be BIG decision time! Thanks, Catherine

It's a long time since I've had a cat but you have my sympathy as such times with an older animal are very difficult.

When my cat became ill, he stopped eating but was also eating the cat litter. He was actually suffering from liver disease and was not eating properly. I assumed that the eating litter was a search to get necessary minerals etc.

If you think your cat might not be getting on well with the antibiotics than do return to your vet and ask further. Earlier this year vet put one of my dogs on non-cortisone steroids as she had twisted her leg very badly. After a few days she was having real stomach problems so I went back. Vet then said I had definitely done the right thing - he immediately stopped the current drugs and switched to loads of other things to address her stomach problems. I know that costs are not the issue in these circumstances, but every time I have made a return visit to the vet (in France) for something that "was working quite right", I have never been charged for the return visits (always treated as part of the original treatment.

Hope all goes well and she recovers soon.

Ian

Definitely go back to the vet. Is she drinking? If not, she must be seriously dehydrated by now. Good luck to you both.

PS: maybe one of the mods could change the title of your post to Poorly Cat. Unless the forbidden forum words now include cat, I'd guess you've fallen foul of the software's dislike of p ussy. [blink]

Yes, she is drinking but not much! I think perhaps the litter eating is a search for minerals and if she has got a liver disease which I now expect, then it would be best to have her put to sleep.

We have alraedy paid for two consultations and blood tests plus drugs and unfortunately cost is a bit of an issue at the moment.

It is always a hard decision when you have owned an animal for so long but if she hasn't perked up by Monday, I'll have to take her back.

Thank you for all your kind and reassurring replies.

ps At 7am this morning the p word didn't even occur to me even though my husband reminded me after about Mrs Slocombe!

I would definitely go to the vets - cats can get very ill if they haven't eaten for a few days. We have at various times had the same problems with our cats, and the vet has been able to either change medication, or even give them an injection that makes them feel very hungry and eat. If only I could have an injection that did the opposite...

Warren

Hi have just been through this with Thomas who was fifteen but with kidney problems.  Vet put him onto to tablets he did not eat and what he did he then threw up.  He drunk like mad towards the end then just sat lifeless for hours at a time.

It was awful just awful to see him like that.  In the end we have an overriding duty to our animal friends and it certainly is not easy.

With my best wishes

We look after them through their lives and we have to try and ensure they have the best end - at the right time - that we can. It is the ultimate responsibility of pet ownership - and of course, it is better than the alternative... an earlier terminal encounter with a car, for example. Give her somewhere dark and warm to curl up so she feels safe, and if she is willing to accept it, lots of fuss and cuddles. Then see what the vet says. I know there is a cost implication, but what else can you do. If it is the medication and it is changed, she may recover. I really feel for you.

Llwyncelyn,

Our has the same problem, he's been on kidney tablets since  June of last year. At the moment he's eating well, but if he's in we find little wet patches around. He still seems quite active, but to be honest I'm just counting how long and I dread it!! His quality of life isn't too bad at the moment but for how long is the question, he's 14 1/2.......

aj

Archived