Complete France Forum

Cat Flaps

Bikboks

I,m sure Cassis is right. You could take the DG panel out and replace it with a single pane of glass, which can be cut for a cat flap, or even a thick sheet of perspex, which you can cut yourself. It all depends on the design of the door - if it is a single DG panel door, all of the above will look awful. We will be buying a half glazed door where the cat flap is going.

Warren

In the UK, we put a cat flap in through the wall. And a little bench outside for mogs to sit and survey the world after egress. [8-|] But now we have 600mm thick walls. Fortunately we've got wooden panels about 40cms high at the bottom of the doors so the cat flap will go in one of those. You can't cut double-glazed panels.

Thanks for the suggestion but there is absolutely no other suitable place for a variety of reasons.

Our cats developed their own way in when we moved here two years ago. They run up a swing seat frame, jump up from there to the top of a timber arbour over the patio, they walk along the narrow beams of this and finally jump a 4 feet gap to a space between the balustrades (which are at an acute angle to them) of the first floor balcony then into the house through the partly open sliding glass door the we leave available for them.

You can appreciate that we are anxious about their continued ablity to undertake this assault course without an accident!!

Cordialement

My point is not about loss of insulating properties, rather I can't see any way that you could cut a hermetically sealed double glazing unit - how could you simultaneously cut two panes that are joined to each other?

Best bet is to replace it with single glazing.

So, Catalpa, you'd be looking at cat tunnel, in effect. Which means that the cat would probably choose to sleep in it, or bring illegal friends in for parties etc., cats being as co-operative as they are. And, of course, the tunnel would need refinancing after a year, and people on the forum would start to take sides and argue violently as to whether the tunnel was the best way of getting in and out of the house, and the cat would get fed up waiting for someone to put paper in the automatic ticket machines.

I'd put in a moat and give the cat a little boat. Or two little boats, one with cabins which charged a lot of money and cheaper one with just seats, and then people could....

Nurse!

The cat will probably want a télépéage doofer for ease of access and to feel superior to the other cats.

Is the door made of wood?  If aluminium or other metal, skip to bottom paragraph.

If the glazing in the door one unit top to bottom?  If not, i.e. if there is a separate lower glazing panel, you might be able to replace it with a wooden insert in place of the glazed unit and fit a flap in that.

Our neighbours in Bromley had a cat flap fitted into a small single glazed window in the laundry room because their door could not take one - the cat had no problem learning how to use it even in its unusually elevated position.  Another possibility for you, perhaps.

We're in a rented house in the UK waiting until January for our final move - the house is grade 2 listed and has v. old doors etc that we are not allowed to put a cat-flap in - so our cat has taught himself to come and go via a small window - which is really tiny - cat-flap sized and that we can leave open all year round. We've just set him up with a ramp and he climbs that and hops in throught the window - so if your door is not suitable - are there any other entrances you can create?

This window is of absolutely no use to any human who foolishly locks themselves out - as it is way too small and you cannot reach by any means any other window catch - which meant a sheepish phone call from hubby when he locked himself out on saturday....

A vitrifeur would not be able to help you but a fabricator of sealed units would be able to do it but at a considerable cost I fear.

The way that they do it is to prepare the two sheets in the normal way, cut the holes in each then assemble using the normal spacing beads (which are filled with silica gel) they would have to fabricate the spacing beads to surround the hole (entailing removing the now leaking silica gel) before sealing all the peripheries including the hole with polyurethane and vacuum evacuating the air/replacing with argon.

The work involved in cutting the holes, preparation of the spacing beads and placing the polyurethane sealer on a circular internal surface is prohibitary but possible.

For me the cost was too much and I used two sheets of white contiboard glued together instead, it lasted about 8 years whereupon i refitted the original seald unit to rent out the house.

Archived