Complete France Forum

Just after New Year

Leokins

This question has probably been asked before (and I apologise if this is the case) but we are going over to France for Christmas and New Year with my dog and my sister's dog.  She is always nervous about going over with her dog as on one occasion he had to be left behind  in France for 7 months as her paperwork was not correct.  He stayed with my parents (not in a kennels) luckily.  Anyway, because of this experience we want to be sure that we have crossed every t and dotted every i.

Due to the New Year holiday we are returning on 3rd January at 8.30am in the morning, so in order to get to the vets 24 hours before, we would have to be there before it opens.  Do you think that an hour or two under the 24 hours will make a difference.  Alternatively we could get a later train I suppose.

Hoping someone has had a similar experience and can shine some light.

Many thanks

You have to be in the window ie between 24 and 48 hours otherwise you will not be allowed to board.

A few years ago having been diverted from Cherbourg to Le Havre due to a cancellation. We arrived at Le Havre with the boat due to sail 23 hours after our dog had received his treatment and boarding was refused. This was despite having been told by the ferry company that it would be Ok. I protested and refused to move my vehicle from the entrance only to have the police give me a simple choice, move it or be arrested. We then had to sit on the quayside and wait for the next crossing. I did get a free subsequent return crossing with luxury cabin following my letter of complaint to the company.

They will give no leeway on this.........................fools.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to let anyone who may be interested (especially if they are going to the Vienne area).  We managed to get an 8am appointment with the vet in Couhe so that we were within the 24hours for the tick and tapeworm and were able to take our 8.30am crossing on the 3rd.

We were eventually allowed to board the boat we wanted. We were crossing with NSF from Zeebrugge and arrived at 5pm and as our dog's jab had been done at 5.45 the previous evening had to wait until that time to board. Seemed a bit mad to me as the boat wasn't leaving for a couple of hours anyway and couldn't be in Hull until the next morning. 

They are very strict with these times aren't they.

That's a bizarre and pointless situation, Teamedup!

I thought that the key thing was the time your pet is checked in, when its documentation is checked and its chip verified - so long as you are (strictly) within the 48-24-hour window, whenever that occurs, you're ok. I assumed the logic was that, from then on, it wouldn't be coming into contact with any more wormy, hoppy infestations so it wouldn't matter how long it was before your arrival in the UK.

I had a nasty moment the other day when my vet nearly wrote 2/1/06 on Pye's passport - fortunately the vet said it aloud as she was writing it so I was able to shriek '07!' before it was too late. I don't like to imagine the reaction of the pet control people if a date is obviously altered. I watch like a hawk as the vets fill in date and time...

We realised that we were not boarding within the window. We were about three quarters of an hour too early for the first 24 hours to be up. But the crazy thing was that the dog was going to be on that boat even though we had to wait on the quay side for that 45 minutes to be up and then was going to be onboard that same board for the next 14 or so hours anyway.

As I say, they are very fussy. We had had our paper work and dog checked several times on the UK side too.

Archived