Complete France Forum

Moving to France from the Philippines with my dog

Carole

I am shortly moving to France from the Philippines and am having trouble finding out what is required with regard to the importation of my dog. 

Pet Passports do not exist here, neither does chipping the dog (that I know of).  My dog has had all its injections from the time it was a puppy. 

I sould be so sad to have to leave him behind so can anyone tell me what the requirements are under these circumstances.

[:(]

I'm not sure about the Phillipines but I do know about bringing pets in from outside the EU and Britain since I moved with my cats from Kenya in June.  I would first check with your vet re getting a chip since this is very likely to be required and if it can be done in Africa I'm sure it can be done in the Phillipines.  The next thing I did for the cats was to have the vet take blood samples which were then sent to an approved (i.e. Schengen-country) lab in France to ensure that the blood titre levels of the rabies vaccine were high enough - if your dog has had his shots, then this is likely though not guaranteed. When all this paperwork was done, I took the cats to the vet the day before we left and he provided a health certificate saying they were fine.

As it turned out the customs officials in Toulouse didn't even bother looking at all the paperwork (but of course they would have wanted it if I hadn't had it). So... I would suggest you get in touch with the French Embassy first and confirm all this with them - they have some standard paperwork that outlines the procedures for non-EU countries. Good luck! and start early as the whole process took me several months.

Archived