Complete France Forum

S W France

Dmfaux

My wife and I have just brought our house in S W France - and hope to move permanently to it as soon as our Uk home is sold. The house is South of Pau nr Arudy, and I looking for the name and telephone no. of someone close by who could keep an eye on the house, mow the lawn, and empty the post box for us. Have looked in L F and web small adds, but haven't found the name of anyone - any recommendations / help would be much appreciated

Why not get to know your Neighbours (assuming you have some) as they are in the best position to keep a watchful eye on your property and your post. You could also ask them if they know anyone who could look after your garden.

For 15 years our next door French Neighbours looked after our house and post. They also had the keys which was especially useful if any work had to be done in the house whilst we were not there.

Baz

I would also recommend playing it by ear, but neighbours are usually helpful in our experience. When we bought our house the previous (French) owners told us that the neighbours had a key if we wanted to get it back. When we went to our house for the first time the neighbours came over with the key, but said that they would be willing to hang onto it if we wanted them to. They keep an eye on the house, let the meter readers in etc and they also asked us if we would like the postman to deliver any mail to them, andthey would either hang onto it or send it on. I also know of other people in our area whose neighbours do the same.

Regarding grass cutting etc, we got someone recommended to us by a local tradesman, but we find that wherever we park our (British) car we come back to it to find leaflets on the windscreen offering all kinds of services to second home owners. I think that you will find once you get out there it will all be easier than you think. Good luck.

Winston

Archived