Complete France Forum

New Puppy

JSA Aude

Am due to collect our new 8 week old puppy next week.  Is the schedule for vaccinations and worming the same here as the UK?  She has had her first lot with the owners but just wondered about the follow up. Have my vaccination book for the present elderly lady - do I just follow the same time frame?  Thanks. Sue.

I have never had a puppy (always into older rescue dogs) but why not just go and see your local vet?

You will be getting to know him very well in the future and will doubtless be paying towards his refurbishments/overseas holidays[:D] so you might as well start now and he will tell you exactly what you need to do.

Have a wonderful time with your new dog.

Chrissie (81)

Chrissie, mine are all rescue dogs but one came to me at 12 weeks (she was going to be drowned along with her littermates at 8 weeks)and 1 at 11 weeks (he was due to be pts because he couldn't be found a home) so rescue puppies are sadly often available.  I'm only making this point because a lot of people seem to think that the only dogs you get in rescue are older dogs, yes the majority are 9 months + but puppies in rescue exist too.  Last year we had a greyhound come into rescue, 2 weeks later we had extra 10 puppies.

With regard to vaccination protocols in France I would think they are probably the same as the UK with of course, the addition of the rabies vaccination which isn't given in the UK (that's obviously only for a dog that is going to travel) until 12 weeks of age - don't know what the protocol is in France.  I'd speak to the breeder about what is required and also your vet.

Archived