Complete France Forum

Taxes Foncieres 2004

Baz

I sold a property in France on the 5th January this year (date chosen to take advantage of the new CGT rules). I have received Taxes Foncieres 2004 for that property and realise that I am only liable for 5 days. I would like some advice how to deal with this. Do I just send a cheque for 5/366 (leap year) and tell the Tresorerie to sort it out?

The new owners use the property as a Maison Secondaire and live in Denmark and I am not certain of their address  and as I am currently in the UK a visit to Centre des Impots is not possible.

Baz

This must be the fastest answer ever!!! But I just happened to be on that Topic and I just have read about the Taxes Foncieres the other day, that the owner who is selling the property has to pay the Taxes Foncieres for the whole year i.e. as I understand it until September 2005. I could imagine that this information is correct as we bought our house on July 1st 2003 and have just received our demand for the TF two days ago.

Monika

BJSLIV,

Thanks for your response, but you are now confusing me as according to my French agents this was their response at the time of the sale:

"Taxe d'Habitation for 2004 which is imposable on the occupier or owner as at 1 Jan; whereas the Tax Foncière will be apportioned between yourself and the new owners."

I will now have to speak to the Notaire to find out if it was specified in the Acte to be apportioned.

Baz

I

Unless it is marked on your acte de vente then it is completely your responsibility. Go to the Service Public website and tap in taxe fonciere and it is clearly indicated on there and in fact on your bill to. So hopefully your notaire will have done their job properly.

Archived