Complete France Forum

Cat sterilisation

chocccie

I've just acquired a 7 year old female cat who is pretty bitey and scratchy... well, very bitey and scratchy and hissy, etc, etc.  Also showing signs of "going for" my cat when they were introduced (ie, allowed in the same room).

She's booked into the vet for the snip next week .... although I was raised with cats - many of them, my mother being The-Mad-Cat-Woman-of-X-Town - I've never experienced a non-sterilised cat before as we always got them snipped when they moved in.

Can I expect her to be a little less violent when she stops having hormones racing around her.  When she's being sweet, she's the nicest little thing .... but she goes from happily sitting on one's knee purring, to a hissy swipe of the paw with no warning or provocation.

Would welcome any personal experiences on this.

Thanks

hi

ok sorry to say that having a cat spayed does not alter them one bit, ok sorry they tend to put on a bit of weight ( you can nearly always tell a female spayed cat ,they have that flappy belly that flops side to side when they run ) , bet the cats a tortie !

dave

Hi. I am afraid to say that some cats (male or female!) can be a bit touchy and change from docile purring kitties, into spitting hissing cats with little warning! Having said that, it is early days with her and she may become less nervey as she settles into your household. I have to disagree with Dave about the weight gain, we have had several female cats who have been spayed, none of who have put on weight and had flabby bellies until they were well over 10 years old! I do agree about the tortie cats though! We had to rehome one (that we had adopted) she loved humans but absolutely hated other cats and repeatedly savaged our other female cat. The lady at the adpotion centre said that in her experience,Tortieshell cats either loved people and hated other cats, or hated people and loved cats![:)] Anyway, best wishes with your new cat, hope the op goes well and she settles down. Joy

No, she's not a tortishell .... she's a quite unusual smokey grey ...  looks like she belongs in a cat food ad, when her owner puts a bit of parsley on top of gourmet cat food, which is served on a glazed platter.

All of my female cats have had the flappy belly syndrome ... they've often been mistaken for pregnant cats (by non cat-lovers!)

She's really friendly at the moment... but that's because she's on heat (if that's the right term).  Fingers crossed that she settles down a bit.  She's not a bit put out by the dogs, but it's the other cat I'm concerned for.

Thanks for your comments.

Hi again choccie. If she's in season at the moment then this might well make her a bit aggressive toward your other cat. My parents have often introduced new adult cats into the household. Although the cats don't ever all become friends, they do learn to tolerate each other. As long as she isn't causing the other cat serious injury i would just leave them to it (once she has recovered from the op) Best wishes Joy

Hi,

Sorry to stray off a bit here, but we acquired a stray kitten last October, and had her sterilised in February this year.  She has floppy belly syndome and seems to be constantly hungary, does the floppy belly ever disapear and what should we feed her daily,  we tried the food for sterlised cats but she seemed hungrier than ever; so changed her back to junior dried food morning and night plus a wet sachet at lunchtime, we still have to keep all our food covered if we leave the kitchen, she has a particular liking for butter and fat!!

Lollie

Lollie,

I would leave the dried food out for the whole day (it won't go off) and see if that curbs the hunger pangs.

Regards butter and fat - nothing more to be done, this is not hunger but greed, just like leaving chocolate around when there are kids in the house.

Hi Lollie. Has she been wormed thoroughly? Our two female kittens were absolutely full of worms! Both of ours were sterilised at the end of january at age 6 months, neither has a flabby belly. The vet insisted that they remain in the house for over 2 weeks after the op, to give the stomach muscles time to heal, dont know if this makes a difference. We feed one sachet (between two) of moist food daily, plus as many biscuits as they like, they always have some available in their bowl. I am sure they would happily steal butter and fat if given the chance, but seem to be quite content and not starving apart from that! Our 9 year old tabby cat was rehomed with my parents before moving here 17 months ago, she always had dried food with us and no flabby belly. My parents feed their cats tinned food (over feed them actually!) and she soon developed a flabby tummy, like their 3 male cats! Too much rich food I think ( just like me!!!!) Joy

Archived