Complete France Forum

I need to take my cat back to England ....

chocccie

... she has her pet passport (we brought her to France in November 2006) .... I believe that all I have to do to take her back to the UK is to have her sprayed for ticks etc at a vet and they stamp her pet passport.... is this right?

also, I've aquired a mature cat who is in season ... how long can I enjoy her nocturnal yowlings for .... she'll be into the vets the second her season stops!

Many thanks

We are in the process of having our cats passports sorted.

Our vet gave me a leaflet with these instuctions....

"Your pet must be treated against ticks and tapeworms not less than

24hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an

approved transport company for its journey into the UK"

I understand this has to be done by a Vet who then confirms they have done this

2 sites were given

www.defra.gov.uk

www.future-of-vaccination.co.uk

Hope that is of use?

You have had the blood test done to confirm that the rabies vaccine has worked haven't you?

No - then you have a problem

Yes - is the certificate more than 6 months old?

No - then you have to wait until it is

Yes - have you ensured that the rabies vaccinations have always been done before the expiry date in the passport

No - then you have a problem.  Go back to go do not collect 200 pounds.  Start again revaccinate, new blood test and wait 6 months.

Yes - no problem

Sorry it is a bit more complex than just having the passprt and getting the ticks and fleas treated 24 hours before departure.

If he hadn't had the blood test he would not have been given a passport in the first place (which he states he had in his first post) so he should only need to have the checks previously posted providing he's kept the rabies jabs up to date.

All is well then .. phew!  I'd never indended taking her back, but now I'm glad I went for the passport, and bloodtests associated with it.  So all I need to do now is get the tic bit done and we're good to go.... thanks for your responses.

Now, anybody have any idea when this yowling will stop (separate cat entirely!)

Thx

Yep, so glad you've got the passport done, so many people fail to do this then have either leave their pets behind for good or find someone to look after them in France for at least 6 months.

Re: the tick and worming treatment, this actually just involved the vet applying Frontline and giving the cat Drontal worming tablets - some vets use an injection but I always take the Frontline and Drontal along to the vet with me.  Also make sure the vet scans your cat for its microchip and check that the vet has completed all the bits in the passport - 3 parts (worming treatment, tick treatment and general health check).  We got to Calais once and the vet had put the wrong date in one of the sections (the worming I think) yet it was correct in the other 2 sections plus in our other dog's passport.  We had to wait for a fax to come through from our vet confirming we had in fact been in on the correct date and he had made a mistake on one date, its just not worth the high blood pressure/fast heart rate that you feel if there is a chance they won't let your pet in.  You're not allowed to enter the UK 24 hours after the treatment takes place but MUST enter the UK in the following 24 hours.

Don't know about seasons in cats, only have to boys who got the chop at 6 months old.  Good luck, I do know they do make a terrible yowling.

[quote user="Panda Bear"]If he hadn't had the blood test he would not have been given a passport in the first place (which he states he had in his first post) so he should only need to have the checks previously posted providing he's kept the rabies jabs up to date.[/quote]

You do not need to have a blood test done, nor wait 6 months to get a Pet Passport. Pet Passports are issued all over Europe where there is no requirement for any blood tests to be done. One of mine had her Pet Passport before having had a blood test done - and it was quite valid and could have been used to enter most European countries except the UK.

People get confused on this very important point and it can cause problems. If you are in the UK and want to enter France you (or rather your pet) need(s) a microchip, rabies vaccination and Pet Passport. Entry into France does not require any blood testing. the Blood testing stuff is only needed if you want to enter the UK !!

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

People get confused on this very important point and it can cause problems. If you are in the UK and want to enter France you (or rather your pet) need(s) a microchip, rabies vaccination and Pet Passport. Entry into France does not require any blood testing. the Blood testing stuff is only needed if you want to enter the UK !!

Ian

[/quote]

You don't need a Pet Passport to bring an animal  from the UK into France providing you do not intend returning it to the UK.  All you need to do is have it microchipped and vaccinated against rabies then, after waiting 21 days, it can be brought into France with a certificate from the vet stating it has been vaccinated.  You only need to have the blood tests done and a full Pet passport issued if you intend returning animal to UK.

I have done both of these methods.

My original question was asking what I need to do with my pet who has a full Pet Passport in order to take her back to UK... answer: have frontline and worm tablet and Pet Passport stamped within 24-48 hours of travel (thanks to the person who confirmed this to me)

If in doubt, ask your vet.

[quote user="Nicos"]Is it much cheaper to take your own Drontal and Frontline with you to the Vets then?
Also what sort of pet carrier do you use?
I have 2 cats which need to be kept seperate, and our English drive takes 5 hrs.

[/quote]

I order my Drontal online in the UK and because I have 3 dogs and 2 cats I find this much cheaper than the vets.  As far as the Frontline is concerned you can check prices between the vet and local pharmacy and see which is cheaper.  Since Frontline became non prescription in the UK it now costs about the same as it does in France, it used to be much cheaper in France, just goes to show how much margin vets were making in the UK when is was prescription only, I now also buy Frontline online.

With regards travelling with cats, I have never done it, the thought of travelling with 3 dogs and 2 cats is just a little bit too much, especially since we go back and forth 3-4 times a year so the cats are looked after by a friend in the UK when we're in France.  They are both 14 now and the only time I will take them to France is if we start spending more of the year in France than in the UK.

[quote user="Panda "]If he hadn't had the blood test he would not have been given a passport in the first place (which he states he had in his first post) so he should only need to have the checks previously posted providing he's kept the rabies jabs up to date.[/quote]

I have 8 cats, 8 passports ( 3 originally issued in the UK) and not a single blood test between them.

You don't need a Pet Passport to bring an animal  from the UK into France providing you do not intend returning it to the UK

That is not strictly true.  Although many countries don't bother to check Pet Passports, they were introduced by the EU for the movement of cats and dogs across EU borders.

EU pet passport

Dogs, cats and ferrets meeting the necessary requirements may move between EU Member States if they are accompanied by an EU pet passport. All these countries recognise this document. The final version of this passport was published on 27 November in the Official Journal of the European Union L312. You can view and print the passport from the European Union website. Certain non-EU listed countries may also issue a passport. Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland are doing so.

The passport replaces the PETS 1 certificate and is accepted for entry to the UK from other Member States and from other qualifying countries. It replaces the PETS 5 and other documents previously required to enter other EU countries. There are some special arrangements for pet owners whose animals have a valid PETS certificate

I am getting more confused by the minute ( I know - not difficult !).

My vet here in the UAE (listed non EU country) says I should get the rabies renewed, then blood tested, then chipped. The DEFRA site, as far as I can see, says Chip, then rabies then bloodtest.

I would seriously not like to get it wrong and end up a LHR with a cat that then could not be taken to France. Any comments?

[quote user="powerdesal"]I am getting more confused by the minute ( I know - not difficult !).

My vet here in the UAE (listed non EU country) says I should get the rabies renewed, then blood tested, then chipped. The DEFRA site, as far as I can see, says Chip, then rabies then bloodtest.
I would seriously not like to get it wrong and end up a LHR with a cat that then could not be taken to France. Any comments?
[/quote]

Steve the microchip and rabies vax can be done at the same appointment with the vet but must be done before the vaccination.  The vet is supposed to scan the dog and then give the rabies vaccination to confirm that the vaccination has been given to the dog being transported.  The microchip is the one thing that absolutely identifies the dog otherwise you could in essence transport an identical but different dog that hasn't been vaccinated.  Hope that clears things up the microchip identifies the dog which is why it is so important.

Hope that helps.

We always travel with out two elderly cats to SW France. They are mother and daughter and are not always the best of friends! We house them in a large dog cage and they have a litter tray between them, so seperating it out into two territories. We have no problems with them and the long journey passes with no problems from our 'girls'!

I think it took the cat much much longer to actually realise he had actually been jabbed.

I am still not totally sure that a blood test is needed if I take the moggie directly to France (CDG) instead of UK first. I must ask a French friend, who apparently takes his dog on holiday to France each year from the UAE, because the dog doesn't like being in kennels for a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Steve the blood test is not necessary to take the cat to France but is necessary in order to take the cat to the UK, from either the UAE or France, same deal applies.  You also cannot take the cat into the UK for a period of 6 months from the date of a positive blood test.

Thanks Lurcherleans, It means I can fly the mog direct DXB-CDG before the six months blood test period is over, possibly not have the blood test at all and save 115 pounds sterling. There is no way the cat will ever go to UK, there is nowhere there for it to go to.

Archived