Complete France Forum

Saddle fitting in France

jillyann

I am a fully qualified Socity of Master Saddler saddle fitter and a Master Saddler thinking of moving to France, but not sure which would be the best part of France to go to so I could continue my trade. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jillyann,

We are moving to the Northern/central part of France as the land is better for horses. Let me know when you move as I will be delighted to use your services for my Lipizzaners.

Rowan

The headquaters of the French National Stud network (l'Haras du Pin) is in the Orne, and this is no co-incidence.  The grazing around the Orne and the Sarthe is second to none for breeding and is bristling with studs.  My farrier reckons that the number of leisure horses around here has tripled since he began working (I'm guessing that's about 30 years ago!)  However, I would beware of overestimating the locals' willingness to part with a lot of their hard-earned cash.  My farrier (again!) reckons that the brits take much better care of their animals.  The average leisure horse around here, for instance, is rarely shod and probably exercised more rarely than his/her counterpart would be in Britain.

There is also a lot more driving done than in the UK so I would reckon that there may be as much if not more demand for harness as for riding tack.

The FFE is a good place to start (BHS equivalent).  Their website is here

http://www.ffe.com/

Archived