Complete France Forum

Cattery - Charente/Charente Maritime

ali-cat

Does anyone know of a cattery in the Charente/Charente Maritime area?   We live near Rouillac but will travel to any cattery, if it's recommended.

Do you think we will have a problem booking them in anywhere, as unfortunately neither of the cats have had their Rabies boosters?   We were moving house when they were due & totally forgot.   They are up to date with all their other vaccinations - but I'm worried that our stupidity will cause problems.

Hi Ali-cat

Even the type of cattery that doesn't want all the other vaccinations will want the rabies jab up to date, I'm fairly sure you will have a problem.  I did exactly the same thing and had to rush cats to the vets and wait for the 30 days clearance before they would be accepted at any cattery where I lived.  The only chance you might have is a cattery who have the option of keeping non vaccinated cats separately, even then though I think they would be breaking the law to take any animal without a rabies jab, it may be a dept thing though.

Hope you find a solution, can someone not come and feed them for you?

Panda

Hi Panda,

Unfortunately we don't know anyone around here - & to be honest we would be a bit nervous about leaving them on their own (for most of the time).  I have just phoned a cattery in Charente to enquire about the rabies part of our problem.  The owner said as long as they weren't travelling (i.e. leaving the country) it was ok.  I hope she was correct - she has said to call & see her facilities any time we want - but I really want somewhere that is recommended, not just from the Pages Jaunes.  [:(]

Hi Ali-Cat

That is strange, but good in a way!  I remembered after I posted that I did asked the vet once what vaccinations were necessary for the cattery because my old cat doesn't go anywhere and he said there was no law stating exactly what was needed but generally the rabies was required. So sounds good, where is the cattery in the Charente, I am now in the Charente but haven't used a cattery here, I did check how far I was from you but it was over 60km otherwise I would have offered to feed them!

Panda

Ali, our friends put their cat in a place for three weeks and was fine when they picked him up.  They say they'll use it again.

It's not that far from you, Saleignes is just north of Matha I think, and the owners are English so your questions about jab requirements will be easier to ask.[;-)].

I'll pm you the name and number as OH is hogging the phone at the moment.

Thanks Panda & Tressie!!

Here's hoping I can get them sorted - now all I have to do is get the enthusiasm up to organise our trip back to NI!! 

Now, Tresco - what makes you think I can't hold a perfect conversation in French?!!  Oh yes ..... you know me!!! [:D] [:-))]

I've been thinking about the Rabies side of things.  Is Rabies an essential vaccination for French cat owners?  If it's not then we should be ok, as French cats wouldn't be inoculated & I'm sure that they put them into catteries.

Hi Ali-Cat

The more I think about it the more I think the answer is no, dogs yes as you can't take them to campsites etc without it, but perhaps with cats it's not important.  I have always been asked for the carnet de sante for the cat though so it must be something that's down to the cattery owners discretion. 

Anywho, you should be ok form the sounds of it , you could always get them done now anyway for piece of mind, regardless.

Panda

Archived