Complete France Forum

Wormer for Chickens

Ejc

We have 6 chooks that we've had a few months now, so they realy need routine worming - and I was wondering if you had any recomendations, we used to use Vermex, but would prefer to buy local (Cerizay dept 79) if possible. They already have ACV & garlic as a supplement.

Thanks for any suggestions

Ee EJC, those chooks are well looked after !   I know its common practise in the UK to worm chickens, but no so in France it would seem.  I have an ever expanding collection of chickens (and 12 turkeys are due in 2 weeks !) and I asked a local farmer about worming - vermifuge - and he (and his wife) looked at me as though  I had two heads - don't waste your money lad was the translation, barmy anglais!

I'm sure your local vet will be able to best advise you what to do.  Let me know how you get on as I'm still not sure that sans vermifuge is the correct approach, particularly with dogs and kids around.

Thanks - maybe I'll just get some sent though from the UK, irritatingly I had some before we moved and somehow the darn thing got lost during the move. I was looked at as though I was mad when I asked at the local agricultural supplier about wormers, but there again our girls are pets as much as egg producers..... thing is I know with alot of wormers there is a withdrwel period, so don't want to use anything I don't know enough about.

[quote user="Ejc"]

We have 6 chooks that we've had a few months now, so they realy need routine worming - and I was wondering if you had any recomendations, we used to use Vermex, but would prefer to buy local (Cerizay dept 79) if possible. They already have ACV & garlic as a supplement.

Thanks for any suggestions

[/quote]

Your local pharmacy will probably sell what you think you need.

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"]

Your local pharmacy will probably sell what you think you need.

John

not

[/quote]

Check the pack carefully though - my pharmacy sold me a wormer for chickens that were strictly NOT for poules pondeuses, not even a withdrawal period of eating the eggs, it was mainly for pre-slaughter worming.

Archived