Complete France Forum

question about our dogs passport as our vet has confused us.

Reg

Hi

I have read the past posts about passports etc but seem to only be able to find information on passport questions relating to moving from Uk to France.

So I appologise if I am repeating something again :-)

Our dogs got their annual boosters this week and also their rabies jabs to keep their passports going in France.

We had hoped to take our dogs back to the UK for a holiday in the near future but the vet said we had to now wait for another 6 months before the dogs could leave France.

The vet also metioned that we would need new blood tests again (similar to when the dogs first got their passports).

So, my question is: Is this correct? Do we need more blood tests and do we have to wait another 6 months before our dogs can go and skip along the beaches back in the UK?

Hope someone can help as I know that all our family are more bothered about seeing the dogs again than seeing us :-) 

Thanks

Your vet may be confused.

Normally if in the UK the rabies jab is given every 2 years and to maintain the validity of the passport must be done before the 2 year expiry date. Otherwise ,even if only one day out, you need to start the whole process again ie blood tests wait six months etc.

In France the jab must be given every year to remain valid.

When we came to France with our dogs they had the two year validity.

One our visit to our French  vet to give the booster he firstly stated that because it was 2 years from the date of the last rabies jab we would have to start the process again. He then decided to check with the French equivilant of DEFRA and then informed us that our dogs were an exeption to the rule of rabies jab every year because they had originally come under UK rules and that our pet passports would remain valid but in future would have to be given rabies jab every year.

So if you are in similar circumstances ie this is the first booster given in France,ask your vet to check with the Ministry of Ag. who hopefully will tell him the same as they told our vet  

Hi Reg

If your dogs have a passport with a positive blood test recorded more that 6 months ago and they have had all subsequent boosters done on time with no gaps then they will not need new blood tests or waiting 6 months.

Edit: The above is for return to UK

I think it is your vet that is confused!

You do not need new blood tests if your boosters have been given on time.

Here is the relevant info from DEFRA

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet3_050907.pdf

I think that some French vets get confused because they vaccinate every year and the UK will accept the manufacturers recommendation which may be 2/3years. so if your passports have UK timings they think they are invalid!

Also you only need to vaccinate to the requirements of the country that you are resident in, eg: UK manufacturers recommendations, France every year.

Edit: If you now live in France you pet will become resident after 3 months, so if after 3 months your UK issued passport says that the last vaccination was done more than a year ago you will need to vaccinate straight away and continue yearly boosters.

Our cats were vaccinated in the UK and had blood tests done here in France.

When we presented them for boosters just before the first year was up our French vet (+ one other French vet we consulted for confirmation) refused to give them boosters - which, in our analysis, would have bought them in line with the French "annual" requirement. The refusal was on the basis that their UK issued passport had a 2 year vaccination validity date. Therefore the cats were not due for their first boosters for another year despite the fact the cats had been French residents for 11 months.

We fretted somewhat about this as - to my mind - the cats weren't adhering to the French regulations but our vets are well-regarded in the area, well-informed and understand the Pet Passport system / paperwork so what do I know...[8-)] Another year has passed so the cats are now on the French vaccination regime.

[quote user="Catalpa"]
We fretted somewhat about this as - to my mind - the cats weren't adhering to the French regulations but our vets are well-regarded in the area, well-informed and understand the Pet Passport system / paperwork so what do I know...[8-)] Another year has passed so the cats are now on the French vaccination regime.
[/quote]

Well at least you know who to point the finger at if the gendarmes come knocking!![:D]

That is precisely what worried us. We are near several major ports - in fact, there was a rabies outbreak an hour or so from us earlier in the year. Worst case scenario: would the Gendarmes (or whoever) have accepted the vets' assertion that our cats were field-legal? I don't think so. "No vaccination this year, madame...? Okay, no cat." Happily, as I said, they are now on the annual regime. [:D]

[quote user="Catalpa"]That is precisely what worried us. We are near several major ports - in fact, there was a rabies outbreak an hour or so from us earlier in the year. Worst case scenario: would the Gendarmes (or whoever) have accepted the vets' assertion that our cats were field-legal? I don't think so. "No vaccination this year, madame...? Okay, no cat." Happily, as I said, they are now on the annual regime. [:D]
[/quote]

Sorry Catalpa, I didn't make that post to scare you it was only a tongue in cheek remark, Sorry

Thanks for your replies

What you have said it what I was kind of thinking (that its a booster so no need to wait 6 months etc).

I have also managed to contact Defra on this (after a few hours trying) and they confirmed what you said and ensured me that their would be no problem getting our dog through the port (ferry terminal) and back to the UK.

The relatives will be happy... they have a stash of Bonios ready and waiting for them already :-)

Thanks again

Archived