Complete France Forum

Log Homes

I am seriously considering buying a 'kit' style log home to be erected on a plot of land yet to be bought but probably within the '50-14' borders.Obviously I will buy land that has (or is close to) water and electricity.

No I am not a latter day 'Grizzly Adams' just someone ,who having looked at the amount spent on renovation of old property by others,considers this to be a viable alternative.

Has anyone else done this- or even knows of someone who has? I would love some input-either for or against.

Thanks Peeps

Can I suggest before you go any further and spend any money on this project,you find out whether you are allowed to build it or not first. Some regions are very strictly controlled over the type of buildings which may be erected as they can be a blot on the landscape and therefore I would have a word personally with your local maire and get his opinion. Even if he does agree, it will still have to go before the planning commission and then the DDE who can overrule the maire. Better safe than sorry.

The planning commission is a selected panel of local councillors who oversee all applications regarding the world of building/property extensions/development etc and they do have a say in what will be allowed as well as the application going before all the local council at a normal meeting. The DDE who are the equivalent of the british highways dept are to be found in the nearest local large town and they do have a big say and also the Office of the Architect de Bâtiment de France is you are near a historic monument/church etc. As I said start with the maire who should give a good indication of what the outcome might be.

My hubby works at the local woodyard and they produce and erect log cabins.

There are vaious types of kit builds but they are generally for maison secondaires and holiday lets so do not afford a good level of insulation. There are chalet rondins which are your grizzly adams whole log cabins  - and very expensive - or the wood construction with lapped boards outside. Hub says the latter sre the better option in that external boards can be replaced over time and you have greater flexibility to insulate the cavity between the internal and external wall.

Hope that helps

Archived