Complete France Forum

English in Accident whilst house hunting

Tonyf

I posted this elsewhere on the forums but thought it might be of interest here also.

On the French Radio this afternoon, a case at Rennes Tribunal where a english intermediaire agency (the radio station's description) has been ordered to pay a 30k€ fine after an english client was was injured on a property viewing.  The Immobilier who sanctioned the visit but was not present was also fined 50k€ and is having his Carte Professionelle (verte) restricted.

Just food for thought for all those who come over.  Insure yourself well and check out that your agent because some of these houses out here are dangerous places what with machinery and dodgy floors etc.

I don't think 'intermediares' need a carte professionelle but just be careful out there..

This demonstrates why house visits in France need to be accompanied by the agents. It's not, contrary to the popular myth, to stop you going direct to the seller and bypassing the agent - it's insisted upon by the agent's insurers in case of accidents like this. I'm not surprised the agent is being penalised for being lazy.

Archived