Complete France Forum

How to sell French house privately?

Tonyb

Sorry if this subject has been covered before but my query is about selling a French house and avoiding the agent's fee.

Due to changing circumstances I am going to sell my refurbished family home in the Herault department next year.

As the local agents charge a fee of around 11% I am considering selling privately. The reason being that the agent’s fee will wipe out any profit I would have made and probably cause a financial loss - I spent a lot on the renovation (but it does look fantastic!).

Can anyone recommend any websites where one can sell privately, and do you have any advice, especially regarding legal considerations? I will put an advert in Living France magazine of course! Perhaps that will be enough.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Thanks for that, I may well end up doing what you suggest.

My logic is based on the fact that although technically the agent's fee is paid by the buyer and the advertised price includes the agent's fee, as an example let's say the house sells for 200,000 euro. That includes a fee of around 25,000 euro which will go to the agent. I'd prefer to sell privately for 200,000 euro and have the 25,000 come to me!

Perhaps I'm wrong about this and maybe privately sold houses must have a reduced price to reflect the fact that they are not being sold through an agent. I need to research this further. 

Archived