Complete France Forum

Grain free dog food in France Pyrenees

Ivan

We will be moving to the Pyrenees area, probably Luchon or Les Cabannes (south Of Foix). Our standard poodle can only eat grain free dog food, which we now buy at Costco in the USA. Any information about where we can get this food for our large dogs, at a reasonable price will be helpful. Because we are exchanging dollars for euros we pay 1.4 dollars per Euro. We now spend $35.00 a month. We currently use a Turkey (or Salmon) and sweet potato mix which is a good nutrionally balance food.

Any more suggestions from anyone for less than a euro per kg.

We will also need a vet in one of those areas. Information about veterinarian cost or references will also be appreciated.

My Shiba Inu cannot eat cereals,rice and commercial dog food products being highly allergic to them all.I buy Hills z/d low allergen croquettes from my vet at €67 for a 7.5kg sack which lasts about 35 days depending if he eats all his 200g per day allowance and works out at about €1,75 per day which is not too bad as he is very healthy now, has put on weight and his fur has returned where the allergies caused him to scratch it out. I compared this product with suppliers from the UK but with postage costs for that weight, it worked out more expensive from there plus our vet gives a discount after every so many bags bought and I can get it within 24hrs of her ordering it because we are the only clients who buy this particular mix. There is no cereals or meat products in them.

Shiba Inu must be a small dog! Our dogs eat about 20 kg a month which works to about 3 bags a month for us. Because we are exchanging dollars for euros that makes it cost us about $281 a month versus the $35.00 a month we now spend. There must be something less expensive. We currently use a Turkey (or Salmon) and sweet potato mix which is a good nutrionally balance food.

Any more suggestions from anyone for less than a euro per kg.

[quote user="Ivan"]Shiba Inu must be a small dog! Our dogs eat about 20 kg a month which works to about 3 bags a month for us. Because we are exchanging dollars for euros that makes it cost us about $281 a month versus the $35.00 a month we now spend. There must be something less expensive. We currently use a Turkey (or Salmon) and sweet potato mix which is a good nutrionally balance food. Any more suggestions from anyone for less than a euro per kg.[/quote]

Not too sure what you have been feeding your dogs on but my son tells me good dog food is more expensive in the US than France.

You want food at less than I€ per Kg! I think your dogs will be unhappy with their diet.

It depends on how much you think of your animals I suppose, in your case not a lot I think.

Yes, Betty it's all a bit odd.  I've done a bit of Internet research and the cheapest grain free I've found on the .coms is 2.30$ a lb let alone a kilo.

Ivan, maybe you'd be better off making up your own, perhaps with some tripe or butcher's scraps plus some spuds, carrots etc?  I think you're expecting miracles if you want to feed any proprietory brand of food over here for that money.  Sorry.

Gardener, they still charge 3.80 a kilo for their grain free (before the discount).  Way, way off what Ivan pays now.  I'm still flumoxed as to how he manages to feed so cheaply and, more interestingly, which brand he feeds.

EDIT: The cheapest grain free at Zooplus is about 2.15 a kilo so it may be that they'll be cheaper for you, too.[:)]

I've just looked at your site for my Hills z/d low allergen and it is not available from them. Obviously it is only via veterinary order being something out of the usual and not often ordered. I have never found it anywhere else either apart from one UK site but delivery charges made it more expensive than my vet gettting it ordered.

[quote user="Val_2"]I've just looked at your site for my Hills z/d low allergen and it is not available from them. Obviously it is only via veterinary order being something out of the usual and not often ordered. I have never found it anywhere else either apart from one UK site but delivery charges made it more expensive than my vet gettting it ordered.[/quote]Yes, I think that some Hills foods are prescription only, Val, and that is probably one of them.  I suspect it is those which it might be unsafe or foolish to feed to the average pet as they lack some nutrients (like their renal diet which one of my cats was on and which my vet advised me would eventually see him off as he wasn't getting something - I forget what now - which, but for his illness, he really needed.)

Coops - that is the ordinary ultra z/d with the brown panel. Ours is low allergen with the grey panel and not ultra which they did order the other week by mistake and it has rice in it.Also that price is too cheap as I pay €67 for just a 7,5kg sac.

Still as I said, we pay less than €2/day for two meals and he looks very good on it so something must be getting through to his system. The vet did say once the desensitisation jabs that we give him monthly work their magic after about three to four years,he might be able to go onto another type of biscuit feed.

I guess France must be really expensive for dog food because this is an expensive dog food, costing about $53 in pet stores, but at the big discount stores we get it for $27. You can still buy dog foods like Purina Dog Chow (with grain and corn) for about $16. for the same size bag (40 lbs about 18 kg). The exchange rate now is about 1.40 to the euro, so you can see my concern if 7 kg is 67 euros. I am not expecting things to cost the same but am looking for the best place to buy it in order to save money. We have 2 big dogs that we adore but they do eat a fair amount!

Yes, France has become very expensive in which to live and work now Ivan. This is the reason why so many on this forum applaud going to Lidl, Netto and Aldi etc because they are no nonsense frills supermarkets and much much cheaper than the big established supermarkets here, our money is just not going as far as it did ten years ago and longer. I think you should prepare yourselves for spending changes here compared to the USA where to us Europeans everything seems so cheap from housing to driving and for your health cover here too if you are not working and under retirement age which is obligatory until you can officially get into the system. Purina products are available here and you may have to change and experiement a bit with your doggies to see how it goes.

Archived