Complete France Forum

Wood for central heating/woodburners - vocab help!!

Maddie

Hi

I've just had a woodburning Rayburn installed (to replace the lovely wood burning stove that went up in smoke after a week of being here!!!).  I'm just getting to the point when I shall have to think about buying some more wood as I've just about used up the supply that was here when we arrived.  The wood I have alrady is cut into 50cm lengths but I have to cut it even smaller to fit in the Rayburn and have invested in a chainsaw so length is not really an issue.  Ooo errr!

Is there anyone who can give me advice on the various French words relating to bois de chauffage etc?  I've had a look in the small ads in our local freebie papers and am getting confused with the abbreviations and some of the words used.  I am happy to call them (with my less than perfect French) to order but don't want to appear a complete plank (!!) or be taken advantage of!

Also, can anyone give me an idea as to a reasonable cost per m3?

Thanks

Nicola

PS I have tried using the search as I am sure this must have been covered before but my PC keeps chucking me out!

Hi Nicola - it's best to ask for it to be cut into 33cm lengths for the Rayburn. Well worth the extra cost as it saves so much time!

You need dry, well seasoned wood, a mixture of chene (oak) and charme (hornbeam) is good.

In the Charente we paid 32 euros per cubic metre for cut wood delivered. We paid a little more than last year (and from a different supplier) but the wood is excellent and we haven't got loads that needs splitting (i.e. manageable sizes). Ask your neighbours who they buy from and how much they pay. Best to go on local recommendations.

regards.......helen

As it's a Rayburn, you want (as you correctly say) bois de chauffage en petit buches de vingt-cinq centimetres (I think that's about the correct length as I recall it from ours). It's unlikely you will see this size advertised, you will either have to ask for it to be coupé or get 50cm logs and cut it yourself. Steres and cordes are measures of quantity, a stere is a cubic metre (35 cubic feet) and a corde is strictly speaking about 125 cubic feet, but in France seems to be variable between three and four cubic metres.

Archived