Complete France Forum

Best place to buy a....

...cheap double bed?

Only moved in three weeks ago and already have guests (in-laws) booked in for a week's time - and our spare room is very much that - no furniture!!

Where would people recommend getting a cheap double bed from - I'm not a cheapskate (well, no, actually I am!) but as it will only be slept on, say, three or four times a year, I don't feel the need to pay a fortune!

Any suggestions greatfully received!

Alistair

(24360)

Try for a FLY or a BUT if there is one of these shops near you. FLY is a bit more modern in style but both have flat pack type furniture of reasonable quality and modest price. Most french beds are sold with the frame, base and mattress separately although I have not found mattresses particularly cheap here. You could also try your nearest hypermarket, some sell beds and bases or possibly just the mattress.

If you don't mind second hand (you can always buy a new mattress) look out for a Depot de Vente.

Liz (29)

Dont know where you are in France but some of the Troc D'Isle stores which are secondhand emporiums also sell new beds and mattresses. The one a Chateauroux certainly does dont know if all do. They are by far the cheapest I've seen in france.

Mattresses are really expensive in France, we paid £400 each for two (wool) mattresses with 10 year guarantee. Hadnt seen Troc then and neighbour was being helpful....Lol

Look in Yellow pages for Trocs

Bob

Yes, I agree with Bob. But the mattresses at the Troc in Chateauroux aren't great. We bought one as we needed one quickly for guests (like you) but have ended up with it on our bed, underneath a good mattress.We only paid 170 euros at BUT at Chateauroux for a good, Dunlopillo mattress (cheaper than in the UK) for a 140 x 190 bed. But you will find bargain bed bases at the Troc, and they are all over France. Good Luck! Linda

To add to all this; we have a good Troc de lille in Caen which sells good sommiers and matresses at reasonable prices. There is also a Trocante, another depot vente, which sells the same gear at twice the price.....

It certainly does pay to shop around.

Good hunting.

Alistair - have you thought of Ikea - we have a couple of Ekeberg beds (200 x 160) with Sultan Forestad mattresses - less than 500 euros (bed + mattress). These are far from the cheapest in Ikea but everybody who has slept on them has been very complimentary re comfort etc.

If you haven't got a store near you you can buy on line www.ikea.fr

If you can visit a store then you can probably pick up a couple of accessories (bed side tables etc) very cheap - as well as bed linen which is extremely good value - especially for occassional use.

Hagar

[quote]Ikea delivery is also very expensive![/quote]

Fontremy, you are right, Ikea delivery is not cheap but

did you know that Super-U in Gemozac now have transit type vans which can be hired by the day. I believe their rates are quite reasonable.

Gill

Archived