Complete France Forum

Selling at depot ventes

Perlats

Has anybody tried selling things at a depot vente? I'd like to have a rough idea of the procedure before trying out my French. Can you just turn up with stuff? Who sets the price and what is the commission likely to be?

Any experience would be appreciated.

We have a small one in our village, not much furniture, mainly clothes, videos and small stuff. They charge 50% commission but I think the larger ones charge around 35%.

I'll stick to the annual vide-grenier!

regards........helen

We have sold quite a few items of furniture etc, after buying a house that was piled up to the ceilings with 'junk'. Troc de L'Ile charge about a third in commission, but it's not bad if you can persuade them to put the price up a little to compensate. You sort of agree a price between you - but I always got them make it higher, and never had a problem selling anything. We even sold the electric macerator toilet that came out of the house! (Well, it was in excellent condition and showed little sign of use!) You just turn up with the stuff and they book it in. It is sometimes about 6 weeks before they send you your money. They also have vans which will collect - but at a price. All in all not a bad service if you are prepared to lose a bit in commission. We actually sold everything we took there!

Hope that helps.

Archived