Complete France Forum

Availability of International Schools

Sashabel

It seems that there has been a marked increase in British families moving to France in the last few years, and from reading many of the threads about education needs there is a gaping hole in the number of international schools catering for their needs. The south of France, Paris and Bordeaux are catered for, but from reading recent postings, central France has nothing to offer - especially the Poitou Charentes area which has become enormously popular with many British expats.

The French education system may be very good (although from sifting through the many postings on this subject, I have some doubts), but it could be a very daunting prospect for a teenager who has left his/her friends and social life behind in the UK and then has to not only start all over again in a new school, but tackle a foreign language as well.

What would it take to get people together in the particular area to discuss tackling this problem?
Just a thought.....
Sasha

If I am not mistaken, any International School would have to be private, but recognised by the French authorities. I don't think that it is very easy to set this up and the reasons the schools in Paris, Bordeaux and Toulouse exist is to provide schooling for children of expats who have been posted there by big companies for a limited period of time. This doesn't apply in , lets say, Poitou Charente, and I can't see British expats, who have moved there in order to escape large school fees and high cost of living, forking out large sums of money in order to provide their children with an international school. Moreover, where would you locate the school? It would be inevitable that some people have to travel a long way in order to get their children to the school. The other reason for sending your children to a local school is that it helps your family's integration, which is a good thing unless you want to isolate yourself.

We moved to France when our children were very small and they integrated into the system here without any problems at all as they don't know another system. I don't think we would have made the move had they been older, as we would have caused them too much heartache and anxiety, i.e. losing their friends and having to learn another language quickly. Now they have lots of local freinds and speak better French than Mum!

Regards,
Christiane

LAST EDITED ON 19-Sep-03 AT 05:48 PM (GMT)

I believe there are some already but they are in big cities. I know there is one in Paris but I can't remeber where I saw the information on it as it was about 18 months back and it's of no real relevance to me.

Chris

I'm sure many of the international schools are very good, but a friend of ours put her boys into a fee-paying international school which was a disaster - one of them, bright but difficult, got chucked out. They both went on to do very well indeed, and thoroughly enjoy, the state school. They returned to England - the elder one prefers the English schools but would go back to the French ones if necessary, while the younger boy, who had the difficulties, would really like to return to the French system. His French is good, but not wonderful - his accent is brilliant but he lacks vocabulary and grammar. I think he was just not stretched enough in the international and English schools.

It's probably an exceptional circumstance, but I mention it just to show that international schools are not necessarily the best option for all. But perhaps it was just an exceptionally good French state school in that town - from what I hear not all of them are anything to be proud of.

Hi Sasha

As a teaching professional in the Poitou area I am amazed at the variety of experiences that anglophone pupils and parents share. From English kids being left to their own devices, engaged in nothing more educational than colouring in and playing on the computer all day, to the other extreme, actually teaching the newer English incumbants French for whole mornings at a time.

Having taught here in primary and secondary schools, if you want your children to succeed it is essential that you have regular contact with the teacher(s) in order to chart progression - especially in written French. Although the little darlings may be able to talk the hind legs off a donkey in French, this doesn't necessarily mean that they can write up to accepted standards. This is tough even for French kids, so beware.

Obviously the younger you can move your kids over the better, but even after the age of 11, it's hard work for them. And at the age of 14, starting a French school? Forget it. Struggling with a loaded curriculum and learning the language at that age - they will resent you for life. Only very gifted and dedicated teenagers will do well as it's simply too much pressure.

I feel that your only option is for an international school. The French 'brevet' exam at 15 is an all or nothing afair, ie pass or fail. At least with GCSE's they come out with something. And remember, your dream of living in France may not be shared long term by your offspring.

As I'm often invoved in picking up the pieces - I now teach French full time to expats and their kids, I cannot advise strongly enough that you either delay your move or insist on an international education with exams in the English language at the end of it.

For many children - especially where the class teacher speaks little or no english, it's often a good idea to give them a boost with some private lessons. This will reassure the child and enable him to become more proactive in his learning and social relations. With class sizes growing by the year in schools out here, the ordinary classroom teacher just doesn't have enough time to cater for the english pupils' needs.

So until I open my own international school in Civray (one day eh!) There your have it.

Hope this helps
Stephanie

Archived