Complete France Forum

Homework Diaries

Moore

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if French schools hand out homework schedules and/or diaries?

I ask because I was trying to work out how I know what and how well my daughter is doing at school in each topic on a daily basis. At first I just thought it was because I drive her too and from school and we chat but then I realised that she probably only tells me, during the journeys, what has excited her most that day; last Tuesday it was biology - birds and bees with real people! in real colour video! getting out of bed starkas and walking about to give them a good look! - Dad said I hope he didn't cook a full english breakfast - ouch!

Back to my original chain of thought. At junior and now secondary school we were told how many homeworks would be given each night and how long they should spend on each - so even without a diary we would have known what she was supposed to be doing. She was also given a year diary - each day she had to write, at the end of lesson, homework set and when it had to be handed in. Each week parents have to sign the diary(as does the teacher) and there is space to add comments.

As such, not only do I know what homework she has to do(and therefore what she has done in school that day) I also have to check it is done, how well it is done etc. (and occassionaly help out). I'm reasoning then, that I don't need an end of year exam or parents night to tell me how she is doing academicaly - I know already through the homework system.

Will the system be the same when she starts french school?

By the way, when the video got down to the nitty gritty the characters turned into cartoon animation 'and they did it - yuk - you and dad must have done that in November 19## yuk'!

'No darling, in the old days, video hadn't been invented so we wouldn't have known how to get you that way, but there was a bird called a stalk and ........'

Merry Christmas

yes my two children aged 6 and 10 both have a diary to say what they have to do for the next day ,and in the elder girls case a list of topics that will be covered over the next month, as a matter of interest I read your other post(estate agents, which area have you settled on.

• 2 weeks later...
I found college (2ndary school) very dificult to check up on.The list of excuses for not having filled out the cahier de texts was never ending, and when something was marked often I was told that the homework had already been completed in a free lesson, or was going to be done in the next free lesson & if it was done now there'd be nothing to do & they'd be bored....
It was long winded and time consuming going to see individual teachers,but found that any major problems were brought to my attention by the cahier de liasons, the marks in general & of course the kids themselves!As they got older I tried more to let them see that not doing their work would mean dropping a down a class,or having to go on a course that would lead directly to a job(a lot of kids here learn to cook & work in restaurants)
Whilst I would prefer them to be truely dedicated to their school work-they're ok & I feel that they get enough pressure from the school.
Hope it works out for you!

Archived