Complete France Forum

This site gives an overview of the French education system in some detail over several pages which seems quite fair; can't see who is responsible for it.

http://www.discoverfrance.net/France/Education/DF_education.shtml

Unfortunately the rest of the site seems less well researched.

I have some quibbles with a few things, but the overall isn't bad.

There are still Lycee professionals that will take kids to reorientate post 5eme.

I disagree completely with the homey nice bit about the SEGPA's though. I wouldn't want to see any child with a normal IQ in one. Maybe it should be learning support, but it isn't. I would be censored if I said what I wanted to say about this, so I'll say no more. However, if anyone here is told that their child should be in such a section in a college, then think long, very long and very hard, before agreeing.

It is a reasonable acurate theoretical view, but still does not take into account the trauma and reality of the teching methods and what actually happens in the classroom.

E.g the section on "Adaptability To Special Needs", is laughable. In our experience there is ZERO flexibility in the primary phases that allow for the different learning speeds/capabilities of children and in college I don't know any teacher that spends extra time helping the less well able in their class.

BTW the term 'Special Needs' is somewhat different to the term used in the UK. In France it is used for any child 'below' average - which by definition is around 50% of them !

regs

Richard

Archived