Complete France Forum

Dissection at school...

Sandrahobson

My younger daugher came home with a letter from her teacher today telling me that after witnessing the dissection of a rabbits heart, and then being invited to touch it, my daugther had been sick...oh dear. My daughter is 9. Is this standard practice as part of the biology curriculum in France? I seem to remember a biology lesson when I was around 13, that involved dissecting a rat. I just thought that perhaps at age 9 it was a little young. I think that having 3 pet rabbits may not have encouraged her to benefit from this particular experience.
What other delights should my 9 yr old being looking forward to in science....what does the curriculum offer in terms of human reproduction?
Best wishes
Sandra

Sandra, I am very surprised. Even in collge they do hardly any dissection. OK, whatever is done is done by the teacher while the kids watch but there's not much all the same. My pupils (11-16yrs) looked disgusted when I tell them about dissections I did at school (A level biology) so it doesn't seem very normal.
My son is 9 and in CM1 and his science lessons are all photocopies etc. I think that the teacher could have warned you in advance at least.

It would be interesting to ask what the other parents think.
I'll ask my biology teacher friend tomorrow to see what she would expect to have been done in primary school.

Archived